|Downtown Ho Chi Minh City during the social distancing period. Photo: Le Toan|
The information was shared at today’s virtual meeting in Ho Chi Minh City. After hearing reports on the COVID-19 situation from districts and departments, Nguyen Thanh Phong, chairman of the city People’s Committee decided to continue social distancing in the city until June 30.
The chairman said that the number of untracked COVID-19 cases is rising in the city, with the pandemic spreading since the beginning of May through 4-5 infection cycles so far.
“The new cases will be detected through screening and tracing in the near future. Therefore, the city will maintain social distancing for another two weeks in line with Directive 15,” he added.
At the meeting, Nguyen Van Nen, Secretary of Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee, said that the city is channelling all efforts to fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the number of infected cases and F1 and F2 people in quarantine zones is increasing. Meanwhile, COVID-19 is still spreading silently in the community.
“This poses a challenge for the city to control the pandemic to realise the dual goals of COVID-19 pandemic containment and recovery in the new normal. Thus, the extension of social distancing time will help the city strengthen COVID-19 prevention efforts,” he added.
|Food delivery drivers are queuing in front of restaurants to get food orders for customers staying at home. Photo: Le Toan|
|The quiet street in front of Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee building in District 1|
By Thanh Van