According to the article, the Southeast Asian nation continues to be highly appreciated at the U.N. with its appointment of officers to join the peacekeeping missions in South Sudan and the Central African Republic, as well as its active participation in talks to achieve the U.N.’s priority sustainable development goals.
Vietnam’s fight against the COVID-19 pandemic has also recorded many results, including the provision of masks and medical equipment to underserved countries.
The article said Vietnam is currently the coordinator of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) at the UNHRC. It has fulfilled the second Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of the council and is making recommendations of the third UPR.
Vietnam has also paid special attention to international conventions on the protection and promotion of human rights. It is currently a party to 25 conventions of the International Labor Organization (ILO) and by 2020, Vietnam was home to 43 organizations of 16 different religions.
In addition to joining the UNHRC and the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Vietnam has actively promoted the U.N. conventions against torture and other cruel and inhumane treatment or punishment, and on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women.
The article said U.N. members generally recognized Vietnam’s important role in promoting the struggle for national independence, sovereignty and self-determination.
It affirmed that the country's candidacy for the U.N. Human Rights Council will contribute to deepening its participation in the international system.
- Freedom and human rights in Ukraine
- Philippines rejects call for UN rights council probe
- War and human rights in Ukraine’s occupied territories
- Trump administration reviews human rights' role in U.S. policy
- EU gives Tajikistan pass on suppressing human rights
- Ihumātao standoff: Human rights observers sent in
- European Rights Court Censures Moldova for Deporting Turks
- ‘Give me the right to end my life in a dignified way’
- US Guilty of Crimes Against Humanity in Venezuela
- Vietnam and EU sign 'milestone' free trade agreement
- [Opinion] EU-Vietnam trade deal a bad day for workers' rights
- EU trade pact with Vietnam close to finish line
Vietnam merits seat at U.N. Human Rights Council: Washington Times have 343 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at September 24, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.