Kien Giang is a province with more than 200 kilometers of coastline, running through many districts and cities, such as Kien Luong, Hon Dat, An Bien, An Minh, and Rach Gia City. The coastal protection forest belt is extremely crucial as it is a green shield against natural disasters, protecting sea dykes from erosion and landslides caused by waves.
In the plan of natural disaster prevention and control of Kien Giang Province, besides investing in construction works, the locality always pays attention to and gathers resources to plant coastal protective forests. Accordingly, besides the newly-planted and restored mangrove areas belonging to the projects of building breakwaters and creating sandbars on the West coast, Kien Giang Province has been growing a total area of forests, which is expected to be more than 644 hectares after the completion of the embankment construction projects.
The Kien Giang Forest Management Board plans to plant alluvial and coastal protection forests. The main solution to protect newly-planted trees is to build soft walls. In the period from 2021 to 2025, the province will plant forests, including Avicennia marina and Sonneratia caseolaris trees, in the coastal alluvial plains of An Bien and An Minh districts, with a total investment capital of VND20.4 billion.
Mr. Nguyen Huynh Trung, Head of the Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention, Search, and Rescue of Kien Giang Province, said that according to the above project, the province needs to build 200 construction works to prevent coastal and riverbank erosion, including 18 works to prevent coastal erosion and 182 works to prevent riverbank erosion. The total cost is nearly VND17.41 trillion. Of which, the Central Government is proposed to support VND17.345 trillion, and the rest is from the provincial budget.
By Quoc Binh – Translated by Bao Nghi
- Coastal erosion set to worsen in Portugal
- Galp to invest in Mozambique fuel storage expansion
- Climate change: 'Invest $1.8 trillion to adapt'
- Air polluted in 56 percent of Turkish provinces: Report
- Anadarko to invest $25 billion in Mozambique gas project: govt
- Anadarko to invest $25 billion in Mozambique petrol development
- PM underlines strategic role of Samsung’s investment in VN
- PKK terrorists prevent Yazidis from returning home
- Vietnamese, US firms to produce recycled composite plywood
- Vietnam launches first anti-dumping wood sector probe
- An EU agenda for climate security
- Work is underway to protect Whitby homes from tidal flooding
Kien Giang Province invests more than VND17 trillion to prevent erosion have 478 words, post on www.sggpnews.org.vn at August 8, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.