Singapore (VNA) – Inflation in Singapore is expected to peak in the next two to four months and will start to ease thereafter, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Lawrence Wong has said.
In an interview granted to Bloomberg, Wong said inflation rates here may very well settle at a higher rate given the geopolitical environment, supply chain issues and how economies are transitioning towards becoming more sustainable.
He added that the extent of this easing towards the year end and where the new inflation rates will stabilise at are big uncertainties.
Wong noted that they are not likely to return to the rates Singapore had been used to over the last decade or so, as zero to 1% inflation was a historical anomaly and never used to be so low.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has already tightened monetary policy four times in the last nine months to dampen inflation, Wong said, adding that the agency's next monetary policy statement is scheduled for October.
Additionally, targeted measures to help the most vulnerable deal with rising prices have also been put in place, including a 1.5 billion USD support package announced in June to provide immediate relief.
If the inflation situation were to worsen, the Singaporean government will certainly be able to provide more assistance, he said./.
- Big data is reaching the peak of its hype, Gartner says
- Singapore’s ‘city brain’ project is groundbreaking -- but what about privacy?
- Singapore’s ‘city brain’ project raises concerns about privacy?
- Gartner: Internet of Things Has Reached Hype Peak
- Is Basis Peak a better fitness tracker than Fitbit Surge? (UPDATED)
- Nokia Confident About First Windows Phone Arriving in Q4
- SpaceX's Dragon Arrives At ISS With Inflatable Space Habitat
- AT&T Adds Mobile and U-verse Subscribers to Post Q4 Revenue, Profit Gains
- Obama R&D Spending Plan Doesn't Beat Inflation
- CA reports disappointing preliminary Q4 results
- We've officially reached peak smartphone, but real innovation is still within reach
- Humanity has reached peak idiocy… what happens when the idiocy bubble bursts?
Inflation in Singapore expected to peak in Q4: official have 344 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 17, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.