Rescue workers battled heavy rains and inclement weather to pull out nineteen survivors from the rubble on Thursday morning after the landslide occurred at a railway construction site in the early hours, but said the likelihood of finding any more was thin.
“In all there were about 81 people. The chances of survival of the remaining 55 people are very thin considering the fact that the landslide occured around 2 a.m.,” Haulianlal Guite, district magistrate of Noney district in Manipur, where the accident occurred, told Reuters by telephone.
This month unprecedented rains have lashed India’s north-eastern states and neighbouring Bangladesh, killing more than 150 people.
Millions have been displaced by the catastrophic floods in recent weeks, and in some low lying areas houses have been submerged.
Army helicopters were on standby and assisting in rescue operations at the site of the landslide, a statement from the Indian army said.
“Army helicopters are on standby. The weather is very hostile and more landslides are hampering our rescue operations,” the statement said.
- Asda, Aldi, Sainsbury's and Morrisons recall hummus over deadly salmonella fears
- Brazil youth prison riot leaves seven dead
- Cambodian building collapse kills seven, with dozens feared buried
- The Seven Deadly Sins Season 3 Draws Critics Over Latest Animation Flub
- India Has a Skeleton Lake Where Ancient Dead Bodies Line the Shore. And Thanks to Science It Just Got Even Stranger
- West Indies vs India 1st Test Day 4 Highlights: Jasprit Bumrah Scripts India's Massive Victory Over Windies In Antigua
- How the Indian Navy destroyed the
- Indian Army to begin deploying light howitzers in eastern sector
- At Least 40 Dead and Dozens Missing After Massive Flood Sweeps Colombia
- Kings XI Punjab vs Mumbai Indians, IPL 10 updates: Mumbai lose by seven runs in high chase
- Five dead as mudslides, floods leave scores stranded, property destroyed
- Indian Fighter Jets Conduct Drills at Minor Airfields to Be Combat Ready in Case of War with China
Seven dead, 55 feared dead in massive eastern Indian landslide have 305 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 30, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.