The benchmark VN-Index has lost 17.5 percent since the end of March, with most blue chips hitting year lows.
Tran Dinh Long, chairman of steel giant Hoa Phat, saw his net worth decline by 22 percent to $2.5 billion, mirroring the turbulence of his company's stock.
In March, the Hoa Phat share peaked at VND51,000 but then began to fall. At the close Thursday, it traded at VND37,900, down 26 percent.
The net worth of three other billionaires, Vietjet CEO Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao, Techcombank chairman Ho Hung Anh and Masan Group chairman Nguyen Dang Quang, fell by over 10 percent or $200-400 million.
Prices of their companies' stocks, VJC of Vietjet, TCB of Techcombank and MSN of Masan, have fallen by 10-25 percent since the end of March.
Vietnam's richest person, Pham Nhat Vuong, chairman of the country's largest conglomerate, Vingroup, saw his net worth erode by 200 million, or 3 percent.
Tran Ba Duong, chairman of automaker Thaco, has become $100 million poorer.
Nova Group chairman Bui Thanh Nhon, who first appeared on the list this year, was relatively unscathed since the price of his company's stock has only fallen marginally.
- Jeff Bezos’ fortune plummeted $9.1 billion after Amazon was crushed in the stock market rout
- Markets Right Now: US stocks open mostly lower
- Mark Zuckerberg lost $16.8 billion when Facebook stocks tumbled — for him, it’s not that big a deal
- Facebook Stock Suffers Biggest Drop Of 2019, Loses $37B In 4 Trading Days
- US stocks end slightly lower amid mixed company earnings
- Kylie Jenner’s tweet that whacked Snap’s stock was one year ago — and shares have never really recovered
- Facebook’s catastrophic year means Mark Zuckerberg lost more money than any of the world’s 500 richest billionaires
- Mark Zuckerberg lost more money than any of the world’s 500 richest billionaires during Facebook’s catastrophic year
- Stocks slip but pare big losses
- Digital Disrupt: Entertainment Stocks Pummelled in 2015, Netflix Soars
- Facebook suffers bad day on Wall Street, loses $119B
- US stock indexes finish slightly lower a day after a record
Vietnam’s 7 richest people lose $2 bln amid stock market plunge have 331 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 20, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.