Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnam had claimed 125 gold, 76 silver and 74 bronze medals as of May 18 evening, the sixth official competition day of the ongoing SEA Games 31 , retaining the top position in the medal table.
The host country is getting closer to its set target of 140 golds.
Thailand ranked second with 53 golds, followed by the Philippines with 37.
On the day, the Vietnamese athletics team won three more gold medals in the women's javelin throw, women's 10,000m and women's 4x400m, raising the number in the sport to 19 and surpassing the target of 15-17.
Runner Nguyen Thi Oanh obtained triple golds in the women's 1,000m; 5,000m and 3,000m steeplechase, in which she broke her own record set in the previous SEA Games.
Swimmers continued to excite home fans as Ben Tre-born Pham Thanh Bao won the eighth gold for Vietnam in the men's 50m breaststroke, beating strong rivals from Indonesia and Singapore. It was also his second gold at this year's Games.
Previously, Nguyen Huy Hoang bagged a gold in the 1,500m freestyle, and triumphed and set a new SEA Games record in the men's 400m freestyle.
Tran Huy Nguyen did the same in the men's 400m individual medley.
Vietnamese wrestlers have clinched 12 gold medals so far.
On May 18 afternoon, Nguyen Thi Phuong secured a gold in the women's individual kata in karate. Of note, it was the 1,000th gold medal for the Vietnamese delegation at the regional sporting events.
SEA Games 31, themed "For a Stronger South East Asia", is being held in Hanoi and 11 neighbouring provinces and cities until May 23.
It features 40 sports with 523 events, attracting around 10,000 participants. The biennial event was initially slated for late 2021 but delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic./.
- Vietnamese footballer donates SEA Games gold medal auction money to charity
- 'This is only the beginning': IOA secy gen on India's best-ever medal tally at Olympic Games
- Tokyo Olympics: India records its best performance, but where does Pakistan stand in medal tally?
- SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program
- SEA Games 2017: Singapore wins its first cricket gold
- Asian Games 2018: Shooters Saurabh Chaudhary, Sanjeev Rajput Boost Medal Tally; Bronze In Sepak Takraw | Asian Games News
- Tokyo Olympics rewind: India sign off with best-ever medal tally and promise of brighter future
- Lauren Price wins boxing gold at Tokyo 2020 as Team GB match London 2012 medal tally
- Golden arm: On India’s medal tally at Tokyo Oympics
- Golden arm: On India’s medal tally at Tokyo Olympics
- Asian Games 2018: Neeraj Chopra Wins Gold In Javelin Throw; 3 Silver Medals In Track And Field | Asian Games News
- Asian Games 2018: Arpinder Singh Wins Gold In Men's Triple Jump | Asian Games News
Vietnam tops SEA Games 31 medal tally with 125 golds have 460 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at May 19, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.