Vietnam has won 188 gold medals so far at the ongoing 31st Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, more than the total numbers of golds of second-placed Thailand, third-placed Indonesia, and fourth-placed Philippines combined.
As of 3:00 pm on Sunday, the host nation had bagged 188 gold medals, 109 silvers, and 109 bronzes, according to the event’s official website.
Thailand ranked second with 77 golds, 92 silvers, and 125 bronzes.
Indonesia and the Philippines were in third and fourth places with 62 and 47 gold medals, respectively.
Vietnamese athletes claimed a total of 17 gold medals on Saturday, with the championship title in women's football being the most notable.
The Vietnamese women scored a 1-0 victory over their archrivals Thailand to successfully defend their gold medal at the tournament.
The other gold medals came from tennis, diving, judo, canoeing, indoor handball, aerobic gymnastics, chess, weightlifting, and vovinam.
The junior Vietnamese team are scheduled to compete with Thailand for the gold medal in men's football in Hanoi on Sunday evening.
The 31st SEA Games, which boast 526 categories in 40 sports, are currently taking place in Hanoi and 11 neighboring provinces and cities and will run until May 23.
The biennial event was originally scheduled to be held from November 21 to December 2, 2021 but was delayed after Vietnam saw a flare-up of COVID-19 cases in late April the same year.
Over 7,878 athletes, coaches, and members of 11 sports delegations in Southeast Asia have registered for the event.
Vietnam's delegation to this year's SEA Games consists of 951 athletes competing in 508 categories, 250 coaches, 30 experts, and 46 team managers.
Team Vietnam set a target of claiming 140-150 gold medals and placing first in the medal table.
In the 2019 edition of the Games, Vietnam ranked second behind host the Philippines, winning 98 gold, 85 silver, and 105 bronze medals.
This is the second time that Vietnam has hosted the SEA Games, after its first time hosting in 2003.
- Martial artist Nam shines for Vietnam at ASIAD
- Asian Games 2018: 10 things to know about Bridge
- India notch historic top ten finish at Para Asian Games
- "One needs to keep working proactively" says Indian Table Tennis player Mudit Dani
- Commonwealth Games thriller as England bowls team guarantee medal
- Focus is on fitness to win medal at Asian Games: Kidambi Srikanth
- Gold Coast Titans vs Melbourne Storm: NRL live scores, blog
- Trent Barrett set to leave Sea Eagles at end of 2018: Updated
- What we learned from Saturday’s Premier League games
- Asian Games close: Indonesia shows it's the 'Energy of Asia'
- Asian Games 2018: India Schedule Today, Match List for August 27
- Asian Games 2018: Probable Medals for India Today, 30th August 2018
Vietnam keeps sitting atop SEA Games medal table with 188 golds have 432 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at May 22, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.