HÀ NỘI — The crowd at the Bắc Giang Provincial Sports Hall seemed to explode when the top Vietnamese player Nguyễn Tiến Minh took victory over Thai Khoisit Phetpradab in the quarter-final match on May 20.
Before entering the match, the Thai player was ranked higher than the Vietnamese player. While 39-year-old Tiến Minh is ranked 69th globally, the Thai player is younger (27-years-old) and ranked 45th.
Minh entered the game with his bravery and experience in the first set, and he continuously scored first. It was challenging for the Thai to score a point.
When the first set was 17-1 in favour of Tiến Minh, the Thai player suddenly pulled out of the match due to a hand injury.
After the match, Tiến Minh said he had competed with Thai athletes in other tournaments three or four times. When he entered this match, he felt the Thai athlete played at a different speed than before.
“His performance was not good today compared to usual, and I think he had a physical problem,” he said.
Minh will face Singapore player Loh Kean Yew in the semi-final, who beat the Philippines’ Jewel Angelo Albo 21-7, 21-8 to book his spot in the final four.
The other semi-final will be between Singapore and Thailand. — VNS
- Malaysia Open: Sindhu in quarterfinal, to meet Tai Tzu Ying, Prannoy shocks No 4 Chou Tien
- Roger Federer cruises past Mischa Zverev to set up Australian Open semi-final against Stan Wawrinka
- The men's year in numbers - the best stats from the 2017 ATP Tour
- Malaysia Open: PV Sindhu progresses, Saina Nehwal bows out in the first round
- Pullela Gopichand Hopes for Historic High in CWG after Epic Thomas Cup Win
- Sindhu, Sen in firm focus as Indians eye good show in Indonesia Super Series; Saina, Kashyap pull out
- The six greatest Australian Open matches of all time
- What Are the Best Nintendo Switch Games in 2022?
- Karnataka T20 League: KSCA to conduct tournament from August 15 -- Winners List, History, Teams
- Mike Lupica: In the end, thin-skinned Kevin Durant wasn’t built for Brooklyn
- Sindhu loses to nemesis Tai Tzu Ying, exits Malaysia Open
Tiến Minh makes men's badminton semi have 405 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 20, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.