A police officer inspects the scene of a bus crash in Surabaya, East Java on May 16, 2022. (The Jakarta Post/East Java Police)
The bus — which was carrying 31 passengers, the driver and a crew member — hit the pole and then rolled over on a toll road connecting the town of Mojokerto to the country’s second city, Surabaya.
The victims were from Benowo, a village near Surabaya, and were returning home after a long weekend at popular holiday destination Dieng Plateau, about 400 kilometres away in Central Java, local official Ridwan Mubarun told Indonesian television station Metro TV.
“Fourteen people have died and 19 others sustained minor and serious injuries,” Mojokerto police chief Rofiq Ripto Himawan told reporters on Monday, adding that authorities were still investigating the cause of the accident.
Earlier, a spokesman for the East Java police blamed the crash on driver error.
“This accident was caused by human error, the driver was exhaused or tired,” Dirmanto, who goes by a single name, told Metro TV.
A police report stated that both weather and traffic were clear when the accident occurred on Monday morning.
The driver survived and has been taken to a hospital for his injuries, the police report said.
Deadly traffic accidents are common in Indonesia, where vehicles are often old or poorly maintained and road rules are routinely ignored.
Last month, 16 people were killed when a truck carrying miners crashed into a cliff in West Papua province, police said.
In February, 13 people died and dozens more were injured after a tour bus carrying factory workers to a popular beach holiday tipped over and crashed on Java island, according to police.
- At least 24 injured as tourist bus crashes in Barcelona
- Merkel ‘Saddened’ as Germany Awaits Answers on Deadly Bus Crash in Madeira
- Coroner misidentified victim in Humboldt Broncos bus crash
- Bulgarian village buries 15 killed in pilgrimage bus crash
- Police: Trucker in deadly bus crash was removing jacket
- Mistaken identity: Body in Humboldt bus crash misidentified, officials say
- 36 Killed in Tour Bus Crash in North Korea, Chinese Officials Say
- At least 15 killed, 14 injured in Canadian hockey team bus crash with semi-trailer truck
- Multiple fatalities in Canadian hockey team bus crash
- Officials: Bus crash in south India kills at least 45 people
- The Latest: 5 tourists still critical after deadly bus crash
- 14 killed in Canadian junior hockey team bus crash; coach, team captain among dead
Indonesia tourist bus crash kills 14 have 417 words, post on dtinews.vn at May 16, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.