Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son, 32, and his wife Pham Le Thao Nguyen, 34, won the men’s and women’s rapid chess titles in Hanoi.
Each saw off opponents from Singapore with just minutes between their victories.
Thao Nguyen finished a bit earlier and then quietly waited for her husband to seal his win.
“During the game we were worried for each other,” Thao Nguyen said, according to Vietnam News Agency.
“This was our first experience like this.”
Truong Son, the world number 128 in the International Chess Federation rankings, is the youngest Vietnamese to have earned the title of grandmaster and had already won gold earlier in the regional Games.
“We were always together in training. We supported and shared difficulties together,” he said.
“Now is the time for us to celebrate together.”
Their wins boosted Vietnam's overall gold medal tally to 102.
- Laura Trott makes British Olympic history with fourth gold medal in Omnium
- Brunei eyes medals at SEA Games 2019
- A gold medal in food! Greg Rutherford wins Celebrity MasterChef
- Inspired by Mary Kom, Manju Rani defied the odds to win a medal at Worlds
- Go Jonnie Go! Sprinter Peacock storms to 100m gold at the Rio Paralympics as Team GB win an amazing SIX events on a glorious night - and there’s a silver for powerlifter with no legs who doctors offered to kill at birth
- Roger Federer rubbishes 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games rumours after making announcement
- Olympian van Koeverden seeks political gold in Lisa Raitt's Ontario riding
- Politician WINS election as mayor of Hungarian city despite footage of him taking part in an orgy being leaked to a porn site days before
- Couple die in barn conversion after electrical cable overheats
- Best Indie Games in 2019 for Switch, PS4, Xbox
- Five Secrets to Creating a "Goal" Medal Life
- Paralympic star Dunlevy retains UCI World Championship gold
Couple win gold medals just minutes apart at SEA Games have 297 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 17, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.