The figures were mentioned in a Monday ILO press release marking publishing of its report titled: “World Employment and Social Outlook: Trends 2022.”
The 2022 unemployment projection is equal to that of 2020, the year Covid-19 erupted.
A chart showing Vietnam’s unemployment number from 1991 to 2023. Graphics by ILO
As per this year’s estimates, Vietnam ranks second among Southeast Asian countries, with Indonesia the first (6.1 million) and Philippines the third (1.1 million). The figures of Indonesia and Philippines are unchanged from those in 2021.
Vietnam’s unemployment rate rose to 3.72 percent in Q3 2021, the highest since early 2020 when the novel coronavirus was first detected in the country, according to the General Statistics Office (GSO).
It had around 49.2 million workers aged 15 or more in Q3, down 1.9 million against Q2, and down 2.1 million against the same period last year.
“The complicated Covid-19 situations significantly affected people’s lives in the first nine months of 2021,” the ILO release says.
Since the pandemic flared Vietnam has imposed lockdowns and social distancing rules several times to contain transmission of the novel coronavirus, leading to closure or partial operation of many businesses, including those in major industrial hubs like Bac Giang and Bac Ninh in northern Vietnam, and HCMC, Binh Duong, Dong Nai in the south.
Reports have also estimated that around 2.2 million workers have left Vietnam’s major cities and returned to their hometowns over long-lasting pandemic impacts.
- VIETNAM NEWS OCTOBER 21
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 3 (updated hourly)
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 5
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 7 (updated hourly)
- ADB pegs Vietnam growth at 1.8 pct
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 11 (updated hourly)
- Recruitment needs in some fields rise strongly in third, fourth quarter
- Biggest Moments in Military History From the Last 100 Years
- Hanoi’s agriculture set to grow at least 3 percent in 2021
- Green shoots for economic performance prospects
- Connectivity could be the fourth pillar in ASEAN Community: Ambassador
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Joe Biden wins presidency, elected 46th U.S. president
Vietnam unemployment expected to rise this year have 312 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at January 18, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.