A ninth grader died on Tuesday after getting her second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in Vietnam, a local medical center said on Thursday.
The girl had her first dose of the vaccine on December 3, 2021, after which she experienced dizziness and had difficulty breathing.
She was taken to the Ha Hoa District medical center in Phu Tho Province, northern Vietnam for treatment and later recovered.
She had her second dose on Monday.
The girl's mother had told health workers about the girl's side effects following her first shot, but was told to go ahead with the second jab.
Twenty minutes following the second dose, the girl experienced tightness in her chest, dizziness, difficulty breathing, and seizures.
She received emergency treatment on the spot before being transferred to the Ha Hoa District medical center.
She began to vomit blood upon arrival at the medical center.
She then fell into a coma and her heart stopped.
Doctors were able to resuscitate the girl, though she remained in a coma.
Her family received news that she died at 1:00 am on Tuesday.
The Phu Tho Department of Health has not yet officially confirmed the cause of death.
The girl's family also declined an autopsy request from police officers.
Vietnam is currently vaccinating children aged 12-17 using the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
At least four children between the ages of 12 and 16 years died after receiving shots between November and early December last year.
A 23-year-old woman died following her second Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine shot earlier this month.
Authorities said their deaths were caused by an ‘overreaction’ to the vaccine.
- Scientists See Downsides to Top COVID-19 Vaccines from Russia, China
- Pfizer Says COVID-19 Vaccine 90% Effective in Trials
- FDA wants two months of safety data before considering Covid-19 vaccine
- COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: Here's a status update on leading coronavirus vaccines that are ahead of the pack
- Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine needs to be thawed from -94F and has to be used within five days: State officials scramble to carry out 'very complex' plans and overcome logistical challenges in administering jabs to Americans
- When will the COVID-19 vaccine be rolled out and who will get it first? Everything you need to know about Pfizer's breakthrough shot
- Vietnam tests COVID-19 vaccine on monkeys
- India is looking to secure 600 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine by leveraging its manufacturing capacity
- India is looking to secure 600 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine by leveraging its manufacturing capacity
- FDA won't 'cut corners' to approve a Covid-19 vaccine, commissioner says
- Covid-19 vaccine breakthrough: America has 100m doses of Pfizer shot that 'prevents 90%' of people from catching the virus - Trump celebrates the news he must wish had a come a week ago
- Brazilian trial of Chinese Covid-19 vaccine was halted 'after volunteer committed suicide'
Teen girl dies after second dose of COVID-19 vaccine in northern Vietnam have 471 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at January 21, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.