HCM CITY — HCM City has basically contained the local spread of the highly contagious Omicron variant of COVID-19.
Speaking at a press conference on Thursday (January 27), Nguyễn Hồng Tâm, deputy director of the HCM City Centre for Disease Control (HCDC), said 92 cases of Omicron have been found, but all except five are imported cases.
The first three cases found in the community, on January 19, were linked to a Vietnamese woman entering the country on January 10 from the US through Nha Trang.
Two more cases were found later, also involved with this cluster.
All five patients are now in stable condition.
Contact tracing them turned up 185 people who had been in close contact, but all tested negative.
"No further infections related to the cluster have been found," Tâm said.
Most of the Omicron cases had mild symptoms such as fatigue, fever and chills, he said.
Visitors with mild COVID to quarantine at home
Speaking at the press conference, Nguyễn Thị Huỳnh Mai, chief of the Department of Health office, suggested that people arriving in the city with COVID but with mild symptoms or without any should be isolated at home.
Those entering with severe symptoms will be transferred to a field hospital for treatment, moderate cases will go to Field Hospital No. 12 or a private hospital authorised by the department.
Currently, everyone testing positive on arrival are sent to Field Hospital No. 12 and their samples are tested to see if they have the Omicron variant.
The department also wants the gene sequencing to be done randomly instead of everyone testing positive, according to Mai.
"Gene sequencing all cases is a real challenge."
Earlier all public and private hospitals in the city that meet the conditions mandated by health authorities were allowed to treat people entering the country infected.
The city is continuing its booster vaccination drive.
There are some 2,300 patients currently in hospitals, 121 at quarantine facilities and 5,166 at home. — VNS
- Bird flu spreads in Cambodia
- "We Are All Equally Responsible for Containing This Disease"
- Envisioning the new Hoboken Community Center
- Provident Bancorp, Inc. to Commence Community Offering
- New allies group embraces regional LGBTQ community
- Twin Cities tax sharing creates winners and losers
- Professional sports leaving mark on Las Vegas community
- Oak Fire at Kelseyville contained at 53 acres
- San Antonio’s Ruby City Is a Literal Dream Come True
- The City of Good Abode Errs a Bit on the Too Earnest Side
- Hilo Community Players present ‘Bare’
- Coastal Cleanup Day Come to Culver City
HCM City contains Omicron spread in community have 443 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at January 28, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.