The UK has reported another 178,250 daily COVID cases and 229 deaths, according to the latest figures.
It compares to 179,756 infections and 231 fatalities yesterday , and 189,846 and 203 this time last week.
There are 18,454 people in hospital with coronavirus as of the last count, 868 of whom are in ventilation beds.
Just over 35m people have now had a third vaccine, meaning 61% of people aged 12 and over have been boosted.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
The R, or reproduction rate in England has increased and is now estimated to be between 1.2 to 1.5 , according to the latest figures from the UK Health Security Agency.
It means that every 10 people with coronavirus will, on average, infect between 12 and 15 others.
The health secretary has said the NHS is facing a “rocky few weeks ahead” as it contends with a wave of Omicron cases.
Speaking during a visit to King’s College Hospital in south London, Sajid Javid warned of “challenging times” for the health service.
The “best thing” people can do is get their COVID-19 booster jab, he added.
“We know now that Omicron is less severe… and we certainly know that once you get boosted that your chance of hospitalisation, our latest analysis shows, is almost 90% less than it was with Delta,” he said.
- Norway confirms first swine flu case, global death tally tops 50
- Shocking new DNA evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case ‘casts doubt on parents’ innocence’
- WHO: number of Ebola cases tops 2,000
- Daily Business Report-Sept. 24, 2019, San Diego Metro Magazine
- 5 vaping-related deaths reported, including Minnesota, LA County
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court asked to throw out death penalty
- Civil case isn’t double jeopardy
- Daily Business Report-Sept. 23, 2019, San Diego Metro Magazine
- Otto Warmbier death inspires sick North Korea comments about the student’s death and threats of the US’ ‘merciless annihilation’
- Do these chilling pics prove five famous people FAKED their own deaths?
- Daily Business Report-Oct. 2, 2019, San Diego Metro Magazine
- Doctors ‘on course to beat HIV’ after on the spot treatment ‘slashes number of new cases’
COVID: UK reports 178,250 daily coronavirus cases and another 229 deaths have 334 words, post on news.sky.com at January 7, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.