Australia coach Graham Arnold is set to miss their crucial World Cup qualifier against Vietnam on Thursday after returning a positive test for COVID-19, Football Australia said.
Arnold has gone into isolation ahead of the game in Melbourne and will be replaced on the sidelines by his assistant, Rene Meulensteen.
“Arnold — who is fully vaccinated, received a booster 10 days ago, and is asymptomatic — immediately isolated from Socceroos staff after returning the result upon his arrival into Melbourne late last week,” the governing body said in a statement on Sunday.
“Socceroos staff already in Melbourne have also been isolating over the past two days and have since undertaken three rounds of PCR testing.”
Australia are third in Group B of Asia’s World Cup preliminaries. Only the top two finishers are guaranteed to advance to the finals in Qatar later this year.
Saudi Arabia lead the standings with 16 points, four ahead of Japan with the Australians a further point adrift.
After taking on Vietnam on Thursday Australia travel to Muscat to face Oman on Feb. 1.
- Andy Reid is out as Philadelphia Eagles' coach after 14 seasons and a humiliating 42-7 loss to NY Giants on Sunday
- Report of drug test scandal involving Syracuse basketball just the latest scandal after Bernie Fine sex abuse allegations
- No. 12 Oregon pulls NCAA Tournament upset of No. 5 Oklahoma State in Midwest Region Round of 32 game
- Packers QB Aaron Rodgers leaves game with shoulder injury in loss to Bears
- Orioles slugger Chris Davis suspended 25 games after testing positive for amphetamines
- Dee Milliner’s injury woes test NY Jets coach Rex Ryan’s patience
- Cubs bring in Manny Ramirez to fill player-coach role with Triple-A Iowa
- Chris Paul scores 19 points, Clippers beat Spurs 98-87
- Jerry Jones says Jason Garrett will be Cowboys head coach next year regardless how season plays out
- Hawks on a roll: Atlanta kicks off February on a 19-game win streak
- With Chris Mullin set to coach his first game at St. John’s, a look at other college coaches who returned to their alma maters
- With Shaquille O'Neal & Yao Ming retired, center position is weaker with no stars poised to step up
Australia coach Arnold set to miss Vietnam game after positive COVID-19 test have 348 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at January 23, 2022. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.