HCM CITY— Labourers and their lives will be featured in a writing contest that was launched this week by the Việt Nam Writers' Association in co-operation with the Lao Động (The Labour) newspaper.
Vietnamese at home and abroad are encouraged to participate the event called Cuộc Thi Sáng Tác Văn Học Về Người Lao Động (Writting Contest Featuring Labourers) as part of an effort to discover and support young writers.
The contest aims to highlight farmers and workers as well as the activities of social affairs programmes on new-style rural areas and their effects on local people.
The organisers welcome works on economic, social and economic achievements of remote provinces. Images of the culture and lifestyle of ethnic minority groups are also encouraged.
They are also seeking works with themes about the lives of young workers, particularly women, and their challenges and dreams in a globalised world.
Both amateur and professional writers are welcome to send their entries in the two categories of fiction and short story.
Famous authors, poets and translators will be part of the jury.
There will be a total of 16 prizes worth VNĐ2.5 billion (US$110,000) the biggest prize money ever for a writing contest in the country.
Organisers will present one special prize worth VNĐ400 million ($19,000), and one first prize and two second prizes worth VNĐ600 million ($29,000) in total for the winners in the fiction category.
In the short story category, the winner of the special prize will receive VNĐ200 million ($9,000). The first prize and two second prizes worth VNĐ250 million ($11,000) in total will be given.
Prizes for the favourite work and youngest writer will also be presented.
"From the contest's works, we hope to encourage Vietnamese farmers and workers who contribute to the country’s development," author Nguyễn Bình Phương, deputy chairman of Việt Nam Writers' Association, said.
"We hope our contest will give young writers, particularly those from ethnic minority groups, a chance to develop their careers and bring writers and readers together."
The contest's participants must submit their work on paper to the contest organiser at Việt Nam Writers' Association-Creating Office at 9 Nguyễn Đình Chiểu Street, Nguyễn Du Ward, Hai Bà Trưng District, Hà Nội.
Entries should be postmarked by August 2023.
The best works will be published in magazines and newspapers. The prize winners will be announced in December 2023. — VNS
- Toronto fundraiser wins Star’s annual short story contest
- Toronto Star announces short story contest winners
- Nigel Farage says his Brexit Party will target Labour Leave seats rather than Tory ones 'to clear out the Remainer Parliament' – and fears the strategy could STILL deny Boris Johnson a majority
- Labour MP Holly Lynch reveals that Meghan Markle admitted 'being in a lonely place' during a 'touching' phone call to thank her for writing an open letter of support signed by 72 female politicians
- Labour declares class war: Jeremy Corbyn vows to target 'vested interests' and 'corrupt' business as he lays out plans to ramp up public spending - accusing the Tories of fighting for the 'super-rich'
- Inside the struggle to oust pro-Brexit Labour MP Kate Hoey
- Writing from the heart
- UK Army probes video of Labour leader photo used for target practice
- Philippine PEN event to feature three female authors
- Join the Fay Khoo Award contest
- Sam Faiers showcases her toned curves in a plunging black jumpsuit as she celebrates her Quiz clothing launch in Manchester
- Facebook launches Portal device which turns televisions into smart screens and can be used to video chat with friends - raising concerns over privacy
Writing contest featuring labourers launched have 646 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.