"Many countries have stopped flights from countries affected by the Omicron variant. Why are we delaying? In the first wave, too, we had delayed stopping flights. Most international flights come to Delhi, and so it is the worst affected. PM sir, please stop flights immediately," Kejriwal tweeted in Hindi.
कई देशों ने ऑमिक्रान प्रभावित देशों से आने वाली उड़ानें बंद कर दी हैं। हम देरी क्यों कर रहे हैं? पहली वेव में भी हमने विदेशी उड़ानें रोकने में देरी कर दी थी। अधिकतर विदेशी उड़ानें दिल्ली में आती हैं, दिल्ली सबसे ज़्यादा प्रभावित होती है। PM साहिब कृपया उड़ानें तुरंत बंद करें https://t.co/A3a1QKz7pz
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) November 30, 2021
On Sunday, the Delhi CM had written to Modi, requesting him to stop flights from affected countries.
"Our country has fought a tough fight against Corona for the last one and a half years. With great difficulty and due to selfless service of millions of our Covid warriors, our country has recovered from Corona. We should do everything possible to prevent the new variant of concern, recently recognised by WHO, from entering India. A number of countries, including the European Union, have suspended travel to the affected regions. I urge you to stop flights from these regions with immediate effect. Any delay in this regard may prove harmful, if any affected person enters India," he had written.
Since being first detected in South Africa, Omicron—which has been classified as a variant of concern—has now spread to several countries, including Germany, Italy, Belgium, Israel, Hong Kong, Australia. Many nations have banned travel to and from South Africa and neighbouring countries.
- Rights Body Urges PM Modi to Save Buddhist Monks, Avoid Diplomatic Embarrassment Amid COVID-19
- Cyclone Amphan: PM Modi announces Rs 1,000 crore relief package for West Bengal
- ILO expresses deep concerns over labour law suspension, tweaking to PM Modi
- Trade unions urge PM for relief to migrants
- Greece delays IMF payment, PM to brief angry parliament
- Cyclone Amphan: PM departs for Bengal to undertake aerial survey
- Cyclone Amphan: PM Narendra Modi arrives in West Bengal to take stock of situation
- Asia Today: Indian businesses urge easing of virus lockdown
- EasyJet will resume domestic flights as well as routes to France and Spain from June 15 - with all passengers and crew told to wear face masks
- Matt Hancock's job 'is on the line' over delayed COVID app as Government DROPS 'track' part of 'test, track and trace' - as it is revealed close contacts of anyone testing positive will have to quarantine for TWO WEEKS
- Humble NHS nurses 'Jenny and Luis' brush off Boris Johnson's praise for staying at his 'ICU bedside for 48 hours when things could have gone either way' and return to work - as their family tell of their pride at pair who helped save the PM
- 'I can't give you a date': Education Secretary Gavin Williamson dodges calls to spell out coronavirus 'exit strategy' despite claims ministers want schools to reopen after May 11 in 'traffic light' system to stop lockdown destroying economy
‘Why are we delaying?’: Kejriwal urges PM Modi to stop flights from countries with Omicron variant have 475 words, post on indianexpress.com at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.