The All-India Senior Selection Committee after a discussion with the team management has added Shardul Thakur to the main squad for the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2021. All-rounder Axar Patel, who was part of the 15-member Team India squad will now be on the list of stand-by players.
Thakur, who was earlier a standby player in the squad , has been added to the squad on the back of an impressive campaign in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 for the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in the UAE. The all-rounder has been one of the top players in IPL 2021 with 18 wickets so far from 15 games at 27.16 and a strike rate of 18.61.
Shardul’s contributions for the CSK have been instrumental in the team’s campaign this season as the MS Dhoni-led team has made it to the final and they will either face Delhi Capitals or Kolkata Knight Riders in the summit clash on October 15.
— BCCI (@BCCI) October 13, 2021
India's squad for ICC T20 World Cup: Virat Kohli (captain), Rohit Sharma (vice-captain), KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Rahul Chahar, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Varun Chakravarthy, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammad Shami
Stand-by players: Shreyas Iyer, Deepak Chahar, Axar Patel The following cricketers will join the team bubble in Dubai and assist Team India in their preparations:
India will open its T20 World Cup campaign against Pakistan on October 24 in Dubai. The 2007 champions will also face Afghanistan and New Zealand along with 2 qualifiers in Group 2.
Notably, after the upcoming T20 World Cup, Virat Kohli will be stepping down as the Team India captain in the shortest format.
- 'Door not shut' on Alex Hales, says Eoin Morgan in T20 World Cup build-up
- BCB to plan for changes in coaching staff following T20 World Cup disappointment
- Asia Cup 2018: Injured Hardik Pandya, Shardul Thakur, Axar Patel to miss the tournament
- MSK Prasad says Suresh Raina was not considered for Team India because of his poor domestic form
- World Cup flashbacks: When Javed Miandad got run-out in his final ODI match in WC 1996 & was booed off
- Henry Nicholls to donate his World Cup t-shirt to help Coronavirus victims
- KL Rahul raises Rs 8 lakh by auctioning his World Cup bat and cricket gears to help vulnerable children
- Shreyas Iyer helped me adjust in Delhi Capitals smoothly: Axar Patel
- Axar Patel to play for Durham in county cricket
- ICC World Cup 2019: Australia Vs South Africa: Preview, where to watch, timing, key players
- Team India Head Coach To Be Handed Contract Till 2021 World T20
- Yuvraj Singh is back in India squad because MS Dhoni is not the captain: Yograj Singh
T20 World Cup 2021: Shardul Thakur replaces Axar Patel in Team India squad have 480 words, post on zeenews.india.com at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.