Fast bowling all-rounder Shardul Thakur on Wednesday replaced Axar Patel in India’s squad for the T20 World Cup to be held in the UAE and Oman from October 17.
The 29-year-old Thakur has impressed with his 18 wickets in the ongoing IPL for Chennai Super Kings.
“The All-India Senior Selection Committee after a discussion with the team management has added Shardul Thakur to the main squad. All-rounder Axar Patel, who was part of the 15-member squad will now be on the list of stand-by players,” BCCI secretary Jay Shah said in a statement.
With pace all-rounder Hardik Pandya, who plays for Mumbai Indians, not bowling during the IPL because of fitness issues, the selectors wanted a cover for him.
“The selectors felt that they were one pacer short and also with Hardik Pandya not bowling, they needed an all-rounder in the main squad,” a source close to the selection committee told PTI.
“Axar remains in stand by and if Ravindra Jadeja gets injured, he will again be back in main team. Till Jaddu plays, Axar won’t be required.”
Meanwhile, fans went berserk after Shardul was included in Team India's 15-member squad, and here's how they reacted:
Lord Shardul Thakur Supremacy In Twitter Algorithm.. pic.twitter.com/ZGkMxGIzhU
— Akhaya Krihna K (@akshayakrishnaa) October 13, 2021
LR HRL In BL
— Mathankumar (@Mathank58144477) October 13, 2021
— Manish Patil (@iampatil09) October 13, 2021
Finally the best tweet from BCCI… lord shardul
— Shivam Mishra (@shiv0769) October 13, 2021
Also, the selectors included Harshal Patel among the net bowlers for the Indian team.
“The following cricketers will join the team bubble in Dubai and assist Team India in their preparations: Avesh Khan, Umran Malik, Harshal Patel, Lukman Meriwala, Venkatesh Iyer, Karn Sharma, Shahbaz Ahmed and K. Gowtham,” the statement said.
Among the stand-by players, Railways leg-spinner Karn Sharma, who is part of the CSK right now, was a surprise inclusion.
Considered a close confidante of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who has been roped in as mentor of the national side for the World Cup, Sharma is retained year after year by CSK without playing too many matches as it is believed that he has been the franchise’s “Lucky Mascot”
Leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal could not find a place despite an impressive IPL with Royal Challengers Bangalore. He claimed 18 wickets in 15 matches.
India will open their campaign on October 24 against Pakistan.
India’s squad for ICC T20 World Cup: Virat Kohli (captain), Rohit Sharma (vice-captain), KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Rahul Chahar, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Varun Chakravarthy, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammad Shami.
Stand-by players: Shreyas Iyer, Deepak Chahar, Axar Patel.
- Will Joe Root make England's T20 World Cup squad? Rob Key and David Lloyd discuss
- Eoin Morgan challenges young players to seize chance to cement T20 World Cup roles
- IPL 2020: ‘He needs to bat up the order’ - Aakash Chopra on how Dinesh Karthik can stake a claim in 2021 T20 World Cup squad
- Joe Root 'realistic' on T20 World Cup ambitions for 2021
- Cannot Play Majority of Our Games With a Half-Strength Team: Eoin Morgan Voices T20 World Cup Concerns
- Possible to host T20 World Cup in bio-bubble if needed: Babar
- Gary Stead re-signs as Black Caps head coach until 2023 Cricket World Cup
- Jofra Archer one of Wisden's 5 cricketers of the year after World Cup and Ashes heroics
- Sourav Ganguly Was Very Keen to Have MS Dhoni in India Squad For 2004 Pakistan Tour: John Wright
- Australia hold no World Cup scars from England defeat, says skipper Aaron Finch
- England vs Pakistan 2020, Live Cricket Score And Updates, 1st T20, Manchester
- England vs Pakistan 2020, 2nd T20, Manchester, Highlights: Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan Help ENG Go 1-0 Up
T20 World Cup 2021: Netizens hail ‘Lord’ Shardul Thakur after he replaces Axar Patel in Team India squad have 660 words, post on zeenews.india.com at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.