With the Indian team management assessing all-rounder Hardik Pandya’s back over the last couple of days, it has been decided that he will primarily be a finisher going into the T20 World Cup in UAE. Speaking to news agency ANI, sources in the team said Hardik is still not 100 per cent when it comes to bowling, but his experience when it comes to absorbing pressure and finishing games with the bat cannot be overlooked going into a showpiece event.
“It will be a finisher’s role for Hardik in this World Cup. We will keep assessing him as we progress, but at present, the team will look at him as a batsman who comes in and looks to play the finisher`s role just like MS Dhoni did over the years,” the source pointed.
Asked if the bowling part is a complete no, the source said: “With someone like Hardik, you know the level of dedication and effort is always 100 per cent. So, we will keep working on his bowling.”
The All-India Senior Selection Committee after a discussion with the team management on Wednesday added Shardul Thakur to the main squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup.
Six needed from last three balls. @hardikpandya7 finishes it off in style!
— ABDULLAH NEAZ (@AbdullahNeaz) October 11, 2021
All-rounder Axar Patel, who was part of the 15-member squad will now be on the list of standby players. India will open its T20 World Cup campaign against Pakistan on October 24 in Dubai. After the upcoming T20 World Cup, Virat Kohli will be stepping down as the side`s captain in the shortest format.
India’s squad for ICC T20 World Cup: Virat Kohli (captain), Rohit Sharma (vice-captain), KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Rahul Chahar, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Varun Chakravarthy, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammad Shami.Stand-by players: Shreyas Iyer, Deepak Chahar, Axar Patel.
The following cricketers will join the team bubble in Dubai and assist Team India in their preparations: Avesh Khan, Umran Malik, Harshal Patel, Lukman Meriwala, Venkatesh Iyer, Karn Sharma, Shahbaz Ahmed and K. Gowtham.
- Explained: Three reasons why BCCI shifted T20 World Cup 2021 to UAE from India
- T20 World Cup 2021: BCCI officially informs ICC to shift the tournament to UAE from India
- T20 World Cup 2021: Shifting the tournament to UAE was a tough decision: Sourav Ganguly
- BCCI President Sourav Ganguly Confirms UAE as Venue For T20 World Cup 2021, Informs ICC About Decision
- T20 World Cup 2021: T20 World Cup to be shifted from India to UAE: BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly confirms | Cricket News - Times of India
- T20 World Cup set to be played in UAE from October 17; final on November 14
- Steve Smith Ready to Miss T20 World Cup 2021 to be Fit For 'The Ashes'
- 2021 T20 World Cup Will be Extremely Crucial For Virat Kohli's Captaincy Career: Saba Karim
- BCCI confirms T20 World Cup in UAE, Oman
- Lasith Malinga to Make International Comeback For Sri Lanka in Upcoming T20 World Cup: Report
- 'Not Thinking About T20 World Cup': Kuldeep Yadav's Plan To Become A Regular In Team India
- BCCI Shifts T20 World Cup To UAE; Dates To Be Decided By ICC
T20 World Cup 2021: Hardik Pandya to play as 'finisher' just like MS Dhoni? have 565 words, post on zeenews.india.com at October 14, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.