HCM City (VNA) – The flow of overseas remittances to Ho Chi Minh City reached 5.1 billion USD in the first nine months of 2021, up 22 percent year on year, the State Bank of Vietnam's Branch in the city has reported.
This is considered an impressive growth rate as the COVID-19 pandemic has badly affected the global economy over the past two years.
It is estimated that this year’s overseas remittances to the southern largest economic hub are 10-12 percent higher than last year's figure of 6.1 billion USD.
Vice Director of the SBV Branch in HCM City Nguyen Hoang Minh said the main sources of overseas remittances to the city in the first three quarters remained the US, Australia, Canada and Europe.
Vietnamese abroad sent home 17.2 billion USD worth of remittances in 2020, making the country the third-largest remittance recipient in the East Asia and Pacific region, according to the Migration and Development Brief released in May 2021 by the World Bank and the Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD).
This represents a rise of nearly 3 percent over 2019, a very positive result compared to the previous forecast in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
With remittances equivalent to 5 percent of the country's gross domestic product ( GDP ), Vietnam was among the top 10 countries in the region by the share of GDP./.
- BCB Bancorp, Inc. Reports Earnings of $5.5 Million in First Quarter 2019; An Increase of 18 Percent Over the First Quarter of 2018
- ‘It’s a big job’: Despite murder drop, NOPD Chief Ferguson’s first months tested by tough moments
- Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: A Postindustrial City Ready for Its Revival
- 7 Days: The City Below
- Vanderbilt Poll: Fewer Nashvillians view city as on the \
- What to know about May Phoenix City Council elections
- Minimum wages going up in seven Bay Area cities
- Did New York City’s Population Fall? Yes. And No.
- Difficult financial decisions loom in the City of Tonawanda
- Rockets expect tougher test in Salt Lake City
- Portland Trail Blazers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 3: Preview, how to watch NBA playoff series
- City, county pledge to help courts to keep internet tax revenue
Overseas remittances to HCM City up 22 percent despite COVID-19 have 354 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 20, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.