According to the Can Tho branch of the Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry ( VCCI ), a total of 6,109 firms were established in the region from January to September, equivalent to only 34 percent of the number recorded in the same period last year.
Six out of 13 Mekong Delta localities experienced decreases in the number of newly-established firms, namely Hau Giang, Tien Giang, An Giang, Soc Trang, Ben Tre and Vinh Long.
Nguyen Phuong Lam, Director of VCCI Can Tho, said the region's monthly export turnover stood at around 1 billion USD in August and September, the lowest so far this year.
However, thanks to good performance in the previous months, most of the localities saw increases in export value for the nine-month period, with the highest recorded by Dong Thap, Soc Trang and Ca Mau at 22 percent, 18 percent and 12 percent, respectively.
The localities reported that about 30-50 percent of businesses have resumed their operations.
Nguyen My Thuan, Vice Chairwoman of the business association in Can Tho, suggested that the localities should reach consensus on travel regulations to facilitate the travel of workers as well as goods circulation.
Lam also urged the cities and provinces to raise proposals to the Government and the Health Ministry regarding the allocation of vaccines to accelerate business resumption.
The VCCI Can Tho said in the nine months, 45,091 enterprises nationwide suspended their operations, up 16.73 percent year-on-year, while another 32,398 applied for dissolution, a rise of 17.44 percent./.
- Mekong Delta residents rush back to Ho Chi Minh City as Tet ends
- Mekong Delta saltwater intrusion in rivers damages crops
- Mekong Delta copes with drought, salt intrusion during Tet holiday
- Mekong Delta aims for sustainable shrimp production at high profits
- Thousands scramble for luck amid chaos in Vietnam's Mekong Delta
- Farmers rescue rice paddies following storm in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta
- Mekong Delta’s main red onion growing area adopts new farming models
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES FEB. 1
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JAN. 31
- U.S. fines Delta $50,000 for ordering three Muslim passengers off planes
- Delta Air Lines Fined Over Booting Three Muslim Passengers Off Flights
- Delta says it will suspend all U.S.-China flights
COVID-19 claims thousands of businesses in Mekong Delta have 380 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 20, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.