The 30-year-old producer said that since the Covid-19 outbreak began, people of Asian descent in the U.S. have faced more severe discrimination than ever since they are considered to be the cause of the virus.
Once, she was supporting a film crew in Times Square, New York, when a maskless white man shouted at her to “Go back to where you came from”.
There have been many attacks on Asians, culminating in a shooting that left six Asians dead in Atlanta in March.
Frustrated with the issue of racism, Phuong and director Sally Tran embarked on the non-profit film project in April.
They chose a visual art form to represent many related historical events. The team called many artists of Asian origin to participate, each drawing one or two illustrative scenes. 'Centuries And Still' is thus a collaboration between the artistic styles of many people.
After the film's completion, the team was supported by a platform provider in the U.S. and non-profit organizations such as MekongNYC, Asian American Writers’ Workshop, Asian American Arts Alliance, and others to promote it.
It will be aired on Vietnam Television's VTV4 later this month.
Film producer Phuong Vo. Photo courtesy of the artist
Phuong arrived in the U.S. in 2013 and works as an independent film producer.
She is currently developing another short film on sexism.
She also wants to make films about Vietnamese traditional arts and cuisine and painters Le Pho and To Ngoc Van.
- Vietnamese youngsters making short films: Diversity and difference
- New short film moves Vietnamese diaspora in Germany
- Vietnamese wins Top Shorts film awards
- Five short films projects funded
- Viet Nam's short film revolution
- Hollywood director to serve as judge in short film-making contest
- Vietnamese Short film competing to gain the chance to participate in Cannes film festival 2011
- Students' short films to enter int'l film festival
- Vietnamese short film wins award in Singapore
- Student wins online short film festival
- Quiet American director judges local film festival
- Vietnamese short film makes its way to 2013 Cannes
American-Vietnamese makes short film on racism have 332 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 16, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.