BIRMINGHAM — A Vietnamese national has appeared in court in the United Kingdom charged with assisting illegal immigration.
Hồ Sỹ Quốc, 21, is accused of helping to smuggle Vietnamese migrants into the UK in the backs of lorries in August and September 2020. He was remanded in custody until his next court appearance on 12 October.
He was arrested by the UK's National Crime Agency (NCA), who also this week arrested two taxi drivers suspected of working with a Vietnamese organised crime gang involved in people smuggling.
The first, a 32-year-old man, was detained at his home address in Bolton on Wednesday September 22 on suspicion of facilitating illegal immigration
Around £15,000 in cash was seized from the property.
The second, a 40-year-old man living in Kent, was arrested on suspicion of the same offence on Thursday morning.
They were both questioned by NCA investigators regarding their alleged involvement in immigration offences, before being released under investigation.
NCA Branch Operations Manager Paul Boniface said: "Organised immigration crime groups require significant infrastructure – from transport to finance or advertising. These are all things we are seeking to disrupt."
"People smugglers treat migrants as a commodity to be profited from and are quite happy to put lives at risk in dangerous journeys in the back of trucks or in small boats.
"Protecting life and preventing exploitation are our priorities, and this investigation continues." — VNS
- Man in court accused of murdering French film-maker
- Man in court accused of raping woman and attempted murder
- Man in court accused of armed robbery at Southway shop
- Billy Livesley murder probe: Man in court accused of perverting course of justice
- Man in court accused of defrauding Hastings and St Leonards groups out of thousands
- Teenager appears in court accused of murdering Jodie Chesney
- Barber in court accused of raping man in Belfast
- Man in court on forced labour charge
- Man appears in court charged with wife’s murder
- Man appears in Belfast court on terrorism charges
- Man appears in court in connection with fatal stabbing in Arklow
- Man in court charged with murder of 22-year-old Sammy-Lee Lodwig
Vietnamese man appears in court accused of people smuggling have 367 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 24, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.