HÀ NỘI — Vietnamese Prime Minister Phạm Minh Chính emphasised the strategic role of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) in the international integration process and economic growth of Asia while addressing the 7th GMS Summit held virtually yesterday.
PM Chính’s attendance at the summit is made at the invitation of Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen.
The GMS' co-operation outcomes have effectively supported the building of the ASEAN Community and shaping the regional architecture with ASEAN at the centre, while promoting the ASEAN-China strategic partnership, PM Chính said.
He stressed that it is the interest and responsibility of each GMS country to coordinate with each other to solve common challenges in the region and support each other for mutual development.
Political trust and co-operation on the basis of the principles of equality, consensus, mutual benefit, efficiency, practicality and respect for international law will continue to be indispensable conditions for the success of the GMS, the PM said.
He suggested priorities in GMS co-operation in the future, firstly the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic with a focus on supporting the open, fair and transparent access to vaccines and treatment drugs.
"As the pandemic rages on, no one is safe while others remain infected with COVID-19, and no na- tion is safe while others still have to grapple with COVID-19," he said.
The Vietnamese leader called on countries that are producing vaccines, including China, to further assist other nations, including Việt Nam.
He proposed organising the annual GMS high-level forum with development partners to review GMS cooperation and attract more resources as well as consultancy from the partners.
Việt Nam will continue to effectively contribute to the implementation of common goals and visions of the GMS, work together with neighbouring countries to build a GMS region of openness, safety, peace, prosperity and sustainable development, he pledged.
At the summit, themed “GMS: Renewed Strength to Face the Challenges of the New Decade", leaders of the GMS countries and representatives from international organisations reviewed the progress of GMS co-operation since the previous summit held in March 2018 in Viet Nam, and map out cooperation directions in the next decade, along with solutions to overcome the current difficult period.
The meeting adopted the GMS COVID-19 Response and Recovery Plan for 2021-20–23 and the GMS Economic Co-operation Programme Strategic Framework 2030.
Accordingly, the leaders put forth the 2030 vision on a GMS region of integration, prosperity, and sustainable, inclusive development.
At the end of the meeting, they adopted a joint statement and agreed to hold the 8th GMS Summit in China in 2024. — VNS
- ‘Howdy Modi was unprecedented’, Amit Shah tweets after PM’s Houston event
- Insecurity: Buhari summons sub-regional leaders again, says war against Boko Haram, fight to finish
- PM Narendra Modi to receive UAE's highest civilian award 'Order of Zayed' today
- PM Narendra Modi wins British Herald reader’s poll for world’s most powerful person 2019
- Pakistan PM’s aide trolled for sharing Tendulkar's photo with caption ‘PM Imran Khan’
- EFCC bombshell: Corrupt elements now stash loot in African countries – Magu
- Opinion: Pakistan needs ex-PM Sharif's political role now more than ever
- Boosting economy to bridging divide, PM Modi has his task cut out
- PM Narendra Modi calls President Maithripala Sirisena, offers full help after deadly blasts leave over 200 dead in Sri Lanka
- Trump's backing for Turkey's Syria plan could cause havoc in an unstable region, experts warn
- PM meets Lao, Thai counterparts on sidelines of regional summits
- ‘India will share learnings to improve global sanitation: PM Modi gets Goalkeepers Award
No regional countries are safe when others still fight the pandemic: PM have 615 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 10, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.