HÀ NỘI — Fourteen foreign television channels will end broadcasts in Việt Nam next month, according to the Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information under the Ministry of Information and Communications.
In their announcements, Disney Networks Group Asia Pacific Limited and Buena Vista International Inc said they will end their broadcasts across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong from October 1.
The channels include Fox Movies, Fox Family Movies, Fox Action Movies, Fox, Fox Life, Fox Crime, FX, along with Channel V, Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2, Fox Sports 3 and National Geographic People which belong to Disney Networks, and Disney Channel and Disney Junior of Buena Vista International.
All of them are now owned by Disney after the company acquired Fox.
It said the move is part of a global pivot towards a direct-to-consumer model. It launched its Disney+ streaming service in the region this year.
According to the Director of ClipTV Phan Thanh Giản, the suspension of some channels had in fact started in May on the over-the-top television system and would be applied to all 14 channels mentioned above across all platforms by October.
There is currently no information on the distribution of the 14 channels in Southeast Asia after October 1.
The authority has asked paid TV services providers to promptly review the list of current foreign channels so as to build suitable business plans.
According to an insider, users of pay-TV services would likely be replaced by some other channels, but there are no specific plans as yet. VNS
- Intl. TV Newswire: Gay Jesus Unbanned, Crime Pays, STV’s Tale of Two Cities
- How to watch LSU vs. Clemson in national championship: TV channel, expert picks, more
- TV series about start-ups to be broadcast
- Actor Keith Allen accuses TV networks of 'giving up' on young comics over fears viewers can be offended
- Sudan bans newspapers, TV stations over Bashir ties
- HTV and VTVcab to broadcast matches of VN defender Doan Van Hau in Europe
- Best live TV streaming services for cord-cutters in 2020
- Ben Fogle donates his entire salary for this year's Animal Park to pay for pensioners' TV licences - as WWII PoW, 99, blasts BBC for axing 'lifeline' to 3.7million over-75s
- Christian missionaries retract claim that God TV is preventing suicide in remote Indigenous communities
- NBC's best Olympic offerings? Grab your iPad and skip Seacrest on TV
- Cable packs are passé. Quick bites, streaming, high-quality displays to change how we watch TV in 2020
- Natural England beef over 'anti-meat' TV after Channel 4 show that called for end to all farming
Int'l TV channels to stop broadcasting in Việt Nam have 438 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 23, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.