HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam raked in US$16.7 billion in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the first seven months of 2021, down 11.1 per cent from the same period last year, data from the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) shows.
This is the biggest fall in FDI inflows since the COVID-19 pandemic broke out again in the country in late April, wreaking havoc on multiple industrial parks in the northern provinces of Bac Giắng and Bắc Ninh.
Earlier, FDI inflows declined 2.6 per cent year-on-year in the first half of the year, after it edged up 0.8 per cent in the January-May period.
According to the MPI's Foreign Investment Agency, of the 7-month figure, $10.13 billion came from 1,006 newly-registered projects, up 7 per cent year-on-year.
Some $4.54 billion was added to 561 existing projects, representing a year-on-year decrease of 3.7 per cent. Capital contribution and share purchases by foreign investors dropped by 55.8 per cent to $2.05 billion.
Economists believed that the COVID-19 pandemic is taking a toll on Việt Nam's FDI attraction. The fourth coronavirus wave has knocked the confidence of European businesses, with the EuroCham Business Climate Index (BCI) falling almost 30 points to 45.8 in the second quarter of this year.
Despite the contraction, the FDI disbursement slightly rose by 3.8 per cent from a year earlier to $10.5 billion.
The largest proportion of the seven-month FDI, $7.9 billion or 47.2 per cent, landed in processing and manufacturing, followed by electricity production and distribution, with $5.49 billion or 32.8 per cent.
Singapore topped foreign investors, pouring $5.92 billion into Việt Nam, followed by Japan ($2.54 billion), and South Korea ($2.2 billion).
The Mekong Delta province of Long An was the largest recipient of FDI with $3.58 billion, followed by HCM City ($1.78 billion) and Bình Dương ($1.33 billion). — VNS
- Saturday Night Five: On the hoops race, ASU’s brain drain, Utah’s new QB, Cal’s plunge and Mullens’ return
- Under Armour shares plunge on sales and earnings miss
- SSY Group Limited announces 2019 interim results
- PM figures out central tasks for 2019
- 400 H.O. 1967 Pontiac GTO – One-Owner Wonder Goat
- Inside The OEs – 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
- U.S. Auto Market Set to Rebound in 2010, Russian Market Not So Lucky
- Fishing report for week of March 13-19: Good bass bite up and down Central California
- Fishing report for week of Feb. 27-March 5: Bass action good at San Joaquin Valley lakes
- Fishing report for week of Jan. 23-29
- U.S. Auto Sales Totaled 17.25-Million in 2017
- The Mounting Yard: Blue Diamond Stakes day preview
Việt Nam’s FDI inflows plunge 11.1% in seven months have 428 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.