This is the second batch of the vaccines to arrive in Vietnam this month, taking total donations from the U.S. to more than five million doses.
These are part of 80 million doses that U.S. President Joe Biden has pledged to donate to various countries, more than half of it under Covax.
Vietnam is a beneficiary of U.S. donations being made under Covax as well as under “regional priorities and other recipients.”
As of Sunday, Vietnam has received 7.49 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines through the Covax program – 5 million doses of Moderna and 2.49 million doses of AstraZeneca.
Vietnam approved emergency use of the Moderna vaccine last month.
Five other vaccines approved for emergency are: Russia’s Sputnik V, the U.S. and Germany’s Pfizer/BioNTech, China’s Sinopharm, and British-Swedish firm AstraZeneca’s vaccine and the U.S.’s Johnson & Johnson.
Moderna is developed from messenger RNA, or mRNA, which contains instructions for human cells to construct a harmless piece of the coronavirus called the spike protein that triggers an immune response in humans.
The Moderna vaccine is being used by some 53 countries and territories including the U.S., Canada, the European Union, the U.K., Israel and Singapore.
According to the Ministry of Health, about 105 million vaccine doses have been committed to Vietnam from various sources so far.
Vietnam launched a mass vaccination program in March, using the AstraZeneca vaccine.
More than 4.1 million have received their first Covid-19 vaccine shots and 372,353 have received two shots.
Vietnam plans to inoculate 70 percent of its population of 96 million by April next year.
- Vaccine ComBE Five continues to be used nationwide
- Pakistan becomes first country to introduce typhoid conjugate vaccine
- GSK sees breakthrough in shingles vaccine output in 2024
- Germany makes measles vaccination compulsory for children
- Teaching anti-vax parents to trust science and the MMR vaccine
- Pakistan becomes first country to introduce new vaccine to combat typhoid
- New dengue vaccine performs well in large trial, but safety remains key concern
- As swine fever fries China vaccine sales, Boehringer rewrites prescription for recovery
- Measles: WHO says cases have jumped 50%
- First Ebola case in African border metropolis could be a ‘game-changer,’ WHO leader warns
- Nearly 170m under-10s unvaccinated against measles worldwide
- Surging cases have dashed all hope that polio might be eradicated in 2019
3 mln Moderna vaccine doses reach Vietnam have 372 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.