The 2nd Hanoi Int’l Piano Competition has been kicked off with new rule changes aimed to raise quality and judging standards.
The 2012 competition will be held from September 4 – 13 at the Vietnam National Academy of Music in Hanoi with 3 categories for competition: aged 10-13, 14-17, and 18-25.
The biennial competition was first held in 2010, drawing 40 contestants from Vietnam and 23 from other countries.
In the 2010 final, the youngest contestants were asked to first play a piece by Chopin, and the 1st, 2nd or 3rd movements of sonatas by Mozart, Haydn, or Kuhlau.
Pianists aged 14-17 played two 15-20-minute pieces by Chopin in addition to one work by a romantic or 20th century composer, and the oldest contestants played Chopin’s Concerto No 1 or No 2 with Polish conductor Jacek Rogala and the Ha Noi Philharmonic Orchestra.
This year, not only the 18-25 age group but contestants of the 14-17 group will also have to play with the orchestra. Besides, more complicated pieces will be required of all age groups.
As this year marks the 150th birthday of French composer Claude-Achille Debussy (1862 – 1918), some of his works may also be chosen for the contest.
This year’s contest will have 3 new judges, Japanese professor Fumiko Eguchi, Polish musician Ewa Poblocka, and American professor Tamas Ungar, in addition to 2010’s four-member panel: Tran Thu Ha, Michel Bourdoncle, Hae Won Chang and Snezana Panovska.
As Honorary Chairman of the Judge Committee and its Art Director, Vietnam’s world-renowned pianist Dang Thai Son will also judge the final round.
This year’s competition, which has been recognized by contest observer Alink Argerich Foundation, will offer a total cash prize of USD 10,000..
- Lady Gaga's performance of 'Alejandro' is edited, Aaron Kelly is kicked off 'American Idol' on May 5
- Your weekly entertainment calendar, Sept. 29-Oct. 5
- Haunted houses, pumpkin patches, dress-ups Halloween weekend
- Shotgun 60 Guided By Voices songs in just 60 minutes
- Things to do in Des Moines: Best entertainment options in central Iowa
- Summer's Hot 100: What to hear, see and do in NYC
- NYC's karaoke expert shows how to be your own 'American Idol'
- Summer's Hot 100: What to do in New York all season long
- Your weekly entertainment calendar, Oct. 27-Nov. 2
- Your weekly entertainment calendar, Sept. 8-14
- FORM Arcosanti breaks music-festival mold
- American Idol's Michael Jackson night a 'Thriller' for Adam, 'Bad' for Anoop
2nd Hanoi int'l piano contest kicked off have 380 words, post on at March 7, 2012. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.