Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnam has condemned attacks targeting civilians and civilian objects in Afghanistan at a UN Security Council 's virtual meeting on the Afghanistan situation on June 22.
The Vietnamese representative commended efforts made by the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) and its partners in supporting demining and offering mine risk education.
Quy stressed the need for addressing economic, humanitarian, and food security challenges as well as promoting women and youth’s engagement in all aspects of society in Afghanistan.
The event, chaired by Eva-Maria Liimets, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Estonia and Council President for June, saw the attendance of foreign ministers of Afghanistan, Norway, Ireland, India, and the UK.
Rapporteurs expressed their serious concern over escalating violence and civilian casualties in Afghanistan in the recent past as well as the stalled peace negotiations between the Afghanistan Government and the Taliban.
Deborah Lyons, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Afghanistan and head of the UNAMA, stated that the UNAMA continues to work to tackle humanitarian challenges, assist the peace negotiation process, and promote development and reconstruction.
Participating council members shared the concern and called for parties involved to soon achieve practical results in negotiations.
According to the UNAMA, civilian casualties in Afghanistan increased by 29 percent in the first quarter of 2021, with 573 people killed, 1,210 injured. The nation is also facing a severe humanitarian crisis, with more than 18.4 million people, or more than a third of the population, needing humanitarian assistance./.
- Two killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan
- National Security Committee condemns recent terrorist attacks in Afghanistan
- Pakistan condemns terrorist attack in Afghanistan
- Qatar condemns attacks in Somalia and Kabul
- Qatar condemns attack on church in Chechnya
- Suicide bombers, gunmen attack Kabul police stations
- Bomb attack on mosque in Afghanistan slammed
- Clerics: Terrorism in Afghanistan Violates Islam
- At least six killed as blasts, gunfire rock Afghanistan's Jalalabad
- Bomb blast at mosque in Afghanistan kills 12, wounds 33
- At least nine killed as blasts, gunfire rock Afghanistan's Jalalabad
- Afghanistan rolls out electronic ID cards despite opposition
Vietnam condemns attacks against civilians in Afghanistan have 393 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at June 23, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.