Such a move would have a direct impact on the credibility, image, and central role of the ASEAN, stated a Vietnamese senior official.
Vietnam calls for the soon implementation of the five-point consensus that has been agreed at the ASEAN leaders' meeting in April to facilitate a peaceful solution in the interest of the Myanmar people.
"Such move would have a direct impact on the credibility, image and central role of the ASEAN," stated Vietnam's Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Quoc Dung at the ASEAN Senior Officials' Meeting (ASEAN SOM) and a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Southeast Asian Nuclear Weapon Free Zone (ExCom SEANWFZ) Treaty Commission in a virtual format on June 21.
First, there shall be an immediate cessation of violence in Myanmar and all parties shall exercise utmost restraint.
Second, constructive dialogue among all parties concerned shall commence seeking a peaceful solution in the interests of the people.
Third, a special envoy of the ASEAN Chair shall facilitate mediation of the dialogue process, with the assistance of the Secretary-General of ASEAN.
Fourth, ASEAN shall provide humanitarian assistance through the AHA Centre.
Fifth, the special envoy and delegation shall visit Myanmar to meet with all parties concerned.
At the ASEAN SOM, member countries discussed priorities initiated by Brunei, the ASEAN Chair for 2020, including the ASEAN SHIELD that is aimed to boost the bloc's resilience against natural disasters; a scholarship program for young ASEAN cadres; and raising awareness about the blue economy.
|Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Quoc Dung. Source: VNA|
Representatives also agreed on issues that would be discussed with ASEAN's partners in the coming time, including the establishment of new partnerships with certain countries to ensure the bloc's centrality.
Meanwhile, member countries once again affirmed the significance of the Treaty on the Southeast Asia Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone in the ExCom SEANWFZ, the move would contribute to regional security and joint effort of the global community in the disarmament and non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
Vice Minister Dung welcomed Brunei's initiatives in 2021 while suggesting the facilitation of those put forth by Vietnam during its ASEAN Chairmanship in 2020, including the review of the ASEAN charter and strengthening cooperation within the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
Dung stressed the necessity for the ASEAN to continue maintaining a consistent view in the East Sea issue amid growing complication in the region while creating a favorable environment for the conclusion of the Code of Conduct in the East Sea (COC) in compliance with international law and the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
- Vietnam welcomes ASEAN chair status
- Sports Facebook shocks Vietnamese TV operators with EPL streaming rights Wrestling for glory at Vietnam's 'Vat Cau' festival
- Sports Facebook shocks Vietnamese TV operators with EPL streaming rights One-ton bomb found in garden in north-central Vietnam
- Sports Facebook shocks Vietnamese TV operators with EPL streaming rights Meet the woman changing Vietnam’s honey industry
- Sports Facebook shocks Vietnamese TV operators with EPL streaming rights In Vietnam, man asked to pay $0.0085 in bank debt
- 'Come down like a ton of bricks': Alan Shearer issues knife warning after pitch invaders mar weekend action
- Malaysia seat belt law enforcement amongst lowest in SEA – ranks below Cambodia, Vietnam, WHO finds
- Interview: China-ASEAN ties reach new high with implementation of blueprint, says ambassador
- E-call system to be implemented in Malaysia soon – new in-car device to reduce emergency response time
- E-call system to be implemented in Malaysia soon
- Lifestyle Social media conduct dominates winning entries of Vietnam's caricature contest The small things in Vietnam
- 2019 NFL Draft: When should top prospects expect to hear their names called? Here are their draft-day ranges
Vietnam calls for soon implementation of five-point consensus over Myanmar issue have 611 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at June 21, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.