|President Nguyen Xuan Phuc (right) and Ambassador Giorgio Aliberti, head of the European Union Delegation to Vietnam (Photo: VNA)|
Hanoi – Ambassador Giorgio Aliberti, head of the European Union Delegation to Vietnam, told President Nguyen Xuan Phuc on June 1 that he is willing to support Vietnam in accessing COVID-19 vaccine sources and vaccine technology transfer from Europe.
The ambassador applauded Vietnam's efforts in the pandemic fight and expressed his hope that the country will successfully complete its vaccine rollout.
During the reception for Aliberti, the President thanked the EU for its medical support through the COVAX Facility and Team Europe, and called on the EU to help Vietnam enhance its capacity for COVID-19 vaccination and production.
Phuc expressed his delight at the active development of the partnership and comprehensive cooperation between Vietnam and the EU over the past time.
The EU has become a leading important partner of Vietnam in many regards, the President said, adding that the two sides have signed a number of cooperation agreements in politics, trade, investment, and national defence and security such as the EU-Vietnam Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA), the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement, the Framework Participation Agreement (FPA) and the Voluntary Partnership Agreement on Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade.
Such documents have created a firm foundation for the two sides to lift their relations to a new high, Phuc said.
Lauding Aliberti's contributions to the Vietnam-EU ties, Phuc suggested the ambassador continue to urge the European Parliament (EP) to soon complete procedures to ratify the EU-Vietnam Investment Protection Agreement (EVIPA).
The ambassador, for his part, spoke highly of Vietnam's non-permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council for 2020-2021.
He thanked Vietnam for its support in upgrading the ASEAN-EU relationship to a strategic partnership, and noted his wish that the two sides will continue their cooperation within the framework, for the sake of ASEAN countries and the EU.
While discussing regional and international issues of shared concern, Aliberti emphasised the significance of international law, notably the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (1982 UNCLOS) to regional peace, stability, cooperation and development.
On this occasion, the ambassador handed over a congratulatory letter of European Commission (EC) President Ursula von der Leyen to President Nguyen Xuan Phuc.
Phuc asked the ambassador to convey his invitations to the EU's high-ranking leaders to visit Vietnam.
- EVFTA to help Vietnam, Czech Republic boost economic ties
- EVFTA, EVIPA to help raise Vietnam’s position: expert
- EVFTA, EVIPA deepen Vietnam-EU trade ties: seminar
- EVFTA to hasten movement of manufacturers to Vietnam: analysts
- EU enlargement: The next seven
- Pakistani PM opens door to prisoner swap with US to free 'hero' doctor who helped track bin Laden
- Russia - high priority in Vietnam’s diplomatic policy: President
- 'Get to Britain before Brexit': 21 MORE migrants are caught trying to cross Channel in tiny dinghys a day after record 93 made the journey as people smugglers tell them border will close after UK leaves the EU
- Trump considering who will be next White House chief of staff
- NGO rescues off Libya encourage traffickers, says EU borders chief
- PlayStation Move hits NA Sept. 19, Twisted Metal PS3-bound
- This Week in Games: October 19, 2012
EU Ambassador willing to help Vietnam access COVID-19 vaccine sources have 526 words, post on vir.com.vn at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.