Hanoi (VNA) – A series of COVID-19 outbreaks in Thailand's factories is raising concerns that the country’s export sector could be hit hard.
As reported by Reuters, the pandemic has affected over 130 plants, including those supplying international brands, with more than 7,100 cases across 11 provinces, making manufacturing one of the top sources of infections along with prisons and construction camps.
According to the government data, the affected factories are just a fraction of about 63,000 factories in Thailand that employ 3.4 million workers. However, local officials worry about the impact on exports that have kept Thailand's struggling economy moving as income from its tourism has collapsed.
Electronics, rubber gloves, and food are among the export sectors hit by infections, Vice Chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries Kriengkrai Thiennukul as quoted by Reuters as saying.
In 2020, exports accounted for 45 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). The tourism-reliant economy, a global trade hub, suffered a steep 6.1 percent contraction last year, and last month the government trimmed GDP growth forecast for this year to 1.5-2.5 percent from 2.5-3.5 percent, previously./.
- GM building diesel engine plant, centering new Colorado development in Thailand
- Volkswagen and Suzuki to co-develop Thai eco-car?
- Mazda to increase engine production capacity at Thailand powertrain plant; 100,000 units by 1H2018
- Albon puts Thailand on F1 map
- Wildcard holders lead training sessions at LPGA Thailand
- ISL 2018-19: We are happy with it at the moment
- I-League 2018-19: Indian Arrows’ Rohit Danu becomes the youngest goalscorer of the tournament
- ISL 2018-19: Why Kerala Blasters Should Replace David James with Ranko Popovic
- ISL 2018-19: Lallianzuala Chhangte set to undergo trials in Norwegian club Viking FK
- Proton Iriz export plans currently in development, first markets likely Indonesia and Thailand, LHD in pipeline
- New Prachin Buri plant to make Thailand Honda’s fourth largest production base worldwide
- Thailand courting Japanese green car production
COVID-19 complicated developments threaten Thailand’s exports have 311 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at June 14, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.