A mine detection rat sniffs for landmines in an area in Preah Vihear province, Cambodia.(Photo: Reuters)
Phnom Penh (VNA) – Cambodia has deployed a new team of mine sniffing rats to replace the "retired" ones in an effort to boost de-mining operations in the country.
The team comprises 20 African giant pouched rats which were imported from Tanzania and have undergone intense training.
According to APOPO – an international organisation that specialises in using rats to detect landmines and tuberculosis , among the "retired" mine detection rats, there is Magawa that has found 71 landmines and 38 UXO during its five-year career. In 2020, it was awarded a gold medal for “lifesaving bravery and devotion to duty” from Britain’s People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals.
So Malen, a handler said these rats have extraordinary sense of smell that guarantees results, and what has set Magawa apart from other rats is his work speed./.
- DHS deploying new task force to protect monuments ahead of July 4
- Best video conferencing software for business in 2020: Microsoft Teams and more Zoom alternatives
- Team Fortress 2 is cracking down on racist bot invasions
- New Cambodian Ambassador welcomed in Hanoi
- Rats Have Not Changed. We Have.
- Cop is shot dead in California as George Floyd fury sweeps US: Donald Trump puts Army on notice to deploy to streets for first time since 1992 LA riots as 19-year-old Detroit protester fatally shot and Minneapolis erupts for fourth night
- Two officers shot, one killed in Oakland - as George Floyd fury sweeps US: Trump puts Army on notice to deploy to streets for first time since 1992 LA riots as 19-year-old Detroit protester fatally shot and Minneapolis erupts for fourth night
- As Bay Area reopens, lessons from New York for next wave or next pandemic
- Clashes in New York, Atlanta, LA, Curfew in Minneapolis as George Floyd Unrest Sweeps Nation
- Coronavirus gives global doctors' group a new frontier: US nursing homes
- CERT-In is warning about new 'Tycoon virus’ targeting your PC
- Xavier McKinney finding comfort in New York Giants defense
Cambodia deploys new team of mine sniffing rats have 329 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at June 14, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.