Amazon saw the number of Vietnamese merchants exporting at least $1 million worth of goods from Vietnam triple last year. The surge was driven by demand for tools, kitchenware, handicrafts, home goods, and apparel.
“Vietnamese sellers have enriched our global product selection,” Gijae Seong, head of Amazon Global Selling in Vietnam, told Nikkei Asia.
Amazon Global Selling is a business set up to recruit more Vietnamese merchants on Amazon, seeking to boot e-commerce trade between Vietnam and its largest export market the U.S.
The company opened a Hanoi office in March to train new sellers, adding to its Ho Chi Minh City branch.
Seong said companies “have competitive advantages in manufacturing” in Vietnam, where a wave of factories have relocated from China to sidestep the trade war with the U.S. and to reduce other costs and risks.
China's Alibaba has also been making moves to have more Vietnamese sellers.
In March, a company representative said that it planned to have over 10,000 Vietnamese small and medium-sized enterprises selling on its platform by 2025.
It has been working with government authorities since last year to run training programs for Vietnamese vendors.
As of March, over 300 companies have been provided consultancy in online cross-border sales.
The competition between the two giants is heating up as e-commerce booms in Vietnam with rising demand for online shopping amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
It's e-commerce market expanded by 18 percent last year to $11.8 billion, the only country in Southeast Asia to record double-digit growth amid the Covid-19 pandemic, according to the Vietnam e-Commerce and Digital Economy Agency.
- Look out, Amazon. Alibaba now has an entry in the smart speaker race, too
- Amazon successfully fights off pricebots
- Report: Alibaba finally overtakes Amazon in the race for ecommerce supremacy
- Amazon: Giving Away the Store
- Facebook, Amazon, T-Mobile, others sued over alleged age discrimination in Facebook job ads
- Google’s Return to China Foretells a Global Race to Deliver AI
- Inside China’s race to become an AI superpower
- A Chinese Internet Giant Enters the AI Race
- Place your bets: BMW is running one heck of an innovation race
- Amazon says thank you very much for Mr. Robot after landing season 1 of hit show
- Can WeChat Thrive in the United States?
- Can China and the Internet Save American Small Business?
Amazon, Alibaba race to recruit Vietnamese merchants have 373 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 17, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.