HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam is the largest gold market in Southeast Asia, according to a recent study of the World Gold Council (WGC).
The WGC also announced the country among the top 10 markets in the world, saying consumer demand for gold in Việt Nam reached 39.8 tonnes in 2020, higher than the demand of 37.6 tonnes in Indonesia and 9.4 tonnes in Singapore.
The study of 2,000 local investors in March last year also said gold is the top asset class for 68 per cent of Vietnamese investors while the outlook for the precious metal was positive, adding 81 per cent of people who bought gold considered buying more. The average rate for buying more gold is 45 per cent globally.
According to the WGC, demand for gold in Viet Nam is still very high as Vietnamese people believe gold helps fight inflation and currency fluctuations, helping investors feel secure in the long run. At the same time, new demand for gold also arises by buying gold on digital platforms or through available channels such as a bank.
In the study, 76 per cent of respondents were in favour of opening a gold investment account at a bank to support and formalise the gold market.
“Research shows demand for gold in Viet Nam is strong and there is support to develop new investment products such as buying gold through digital platforms or opening a gold investment account,” Andrew Naylor, director in charge of ASEAN at the World Gold Council, said.
Ending yesterday, SJC gold price was bought at VNĐ55.2 million (US$2,379) and sold at VNĐ55.6 million ($2,396) per tael. Compared with gold prices listed on the global site of Kitco at $1,785 per ounce ($2,142 per tael), each tael of gold in Việt Nam was $254 higher than the world price. — VNS
- Gold ETF Holdings Edge Modestly Higher in March
- ADB finances largest floating solar farm
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Trade fears, growth woes haunt global stocks as bond yields slide
- Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor: Jersey Gold Coast's final development frontier
- Thailand’s gem and jewellery exports rise sharply
- VN, Cambodia develop comprehensive ties
- PM Phuc hosts official welcome ceremony for Cambodian counterpart
- Agricultural export turnover hits US$ 30 bln. In Jan-Sept period
- Singapore inks Asean partnerships to drive technology patents
- Trade fears, growth woes haunt global stocks as bond yields slide
- Edited Transcript of FOLD earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 12:30pm GMT
- Johannesburg, South Africa, offers more than just World Cup fever
Việt Nam is region's largest gold market: WGC have 409 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.