The chairman of a major South Korean dairy company stepped down on Tuesday after police launched an investigation into the company’s assertion that its yogurt drink was effective in fighting the novel coronavirus.
Namyang Dairy Product Co Ltd Chairman Hong Won-sik’s resignation came three weeks after the initial claim and its retraction. The sacking of the chief executive did little to calm a consumer backlash.
“I will resign from Namyang Dairy’s chairman position to take responsibility for all of this and I will not pass on management to my children,” Hong said in a televised public apology.
Hong and his family members have a combined stake of 53.1% of South Korea’s No.3 dairy firm by revenue, according to Namyang’s regulatory filings.
Officials at Namyang Dairy could not be immediately reached for comment.
Seoul police last week raided the company’s headquarters.
The company claimed at a forum attended by reporters last month that its Bulgaris yogurt drink was effective in preventing COVID-19, sending its stock surging nearly 30%.
South Korea’s Ministry of Food and Drug Safety subsequently issued a statement saying that Namyang had no evidence to support its claim, and accused the company of illegally spreading misleading information.
Namyang Dairy shares were up 16.3% versus the broader KOSPI’s 0.5% decline as of 02:43 GMT.
- It's called the 'Pao effect' — Asian women in tech are fighting deep-rooted discrimination
- Weft & Warp review: New Scottsdale resort restaurant equal parts stylish, comfy, delicious
- 10 awesome DIY food kits
- The Daily News’ Top 50 Video Games of 2014
- Rebecca Harrington tried a host of celeb diets for 'I'll Have What She's Having'
- ‘I was scared to get sober': He dealt heroin, now he's been clean six years
- Escaped Chinese forced-abortion opponent ensnared in U.S. culture wars
- NFL mock draft 3.0: Who's rising after combine?
- Hurricane man sentenced in deadly DUI incident
- In Greene County: Questions, silence after rape accusation
S.Korean dairy boss quits over claim yoghurt drink effective against COVID-19 have 310 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.