On Friday, a Vietnam Airlines flight was scheduled to depart from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi at 10 a.m. But at 9:40 a.m. Nguyen Thanh, her husband and three-year-old daughter had yet to pass the security checkpoint, prompting airline staff to “rescue” the family ahead of departure.
Arriving at the airport at 8 a.m., they completed check-in and medical declaration procedures, then queued up for an hour waiting to pass the security checkpoint.
Another Vietnam Airlines flight was scheduled to leave HCMC for Cam Ranh at 10:10 a.m., about 30 minutes before departure, many passengers were still at the security checkpoint.
“My family was about to go on a weekend trip – I was surprised the airport was so crowded. I’ve only witnessed such scenes during the Tet holiday,” a passenger named Nguyen Sy commented.
A representative of Tan Son Nhat airport, Vietnam’s largest, said overcrowding got worse closer to the weekends.
On Wednesday, 64,000 passengers passed through the airport, but the number rose to 77.000 a day later.
In 2019, the airport received 40 million passengers, up 4.5 percent from the previous year but the figure was down 47 percent last year to 22 million due to the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Tan Son Nhat airport has served 36 million passengers a year since 2017, well above its capacity. Construction of a third terminal will begin in October this year.
With Vietnam having contained its Covid-19 outbreaks, domestic air travel has returned to normal.
The latest Covid-19 outbreak in late January came just a few weeks before Lunar New Year, the country’s biggest holiday, forcing many people to cancel travel plans.
- Vietnam’s top tourist hotspots become deserted amid new coronavirus epidemic
- Hanoi people queued to buy face masks
- 'How are we supposed to get home?': Fury as Foreign Office warns ALL 30,000 Brits in China to LEAVE as death toll hits 427 - but tells them 'find your own way back' and stops repatriation flights
- Coronavirus outbreak hits Vietnam tourism
- Bamboo Airways to launch first ever Vietnam - Czech direct flight
- Storm Ciara kicks in! Hundreds of flights are cancelled ALREADY as Britain's biggest storm in seven years sweeps into Scotland and the rest of UK is put on warning for 90mph winds TOMORROW
- 2019-nCoV roundup: Vietnam steps up vigilance, preparations
- Hong Kong airport sit-in continues in 10th straight weekend of protests
- My 65-hour journey back to Australia from China amid the coronavirus outbreak
- Iowa Democratic results will not be known for HOURS as fiasco deepens with party admitting they have 'inconsistencies' in the count and are using paper ballots after denying they were HACKED
- Farm Jam future unknown as organisers take stock
- Storm Ciara dawns: Hundreds of flights are cancelled with 'danger to life' 90mph gusts and flooding forecast as Britain's biggest storm hits TODAY
Vietnam's biggest airport jammed by crowds, leaving many queuing for hours have 451 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at April 16, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.