Speaking during a UN Security Council (UNSC) meeting on cooperation between the UN and regional and sub-regional organizations on April 19, Guterres called on regional leaders to bolster efforts towards finding a peaceful solution to the crisis in Myanmar.
In this regard, UN cooperation with ASEAN is vital, he said, as the situation requires a robust international response grounded in a unified regional effort.
"I urge regional actors to leverage their influence to prevent further deterioration and, ultimately, find a peaceful way out of this catastrophe," he stressed.
Meanwhile, Ban Ki-moon also urged leaders to implement immediate joint actions ahead of the Special ASEAN Summit on Myanmar, which is slated for April 24 in Indonesia.
ASEAN should agree to send a high-ranking delegation to Myanmar to connect all concerned parties, he said.
He called on ASEAN leaders to work with the UN to help the people of Myanmar, and urged the UNSC to act resolutely to prevent the situation from becoming more serious in the country.
Myanmar’s Armed Forces Commander-in-Chief Min Aung Hlaing will attend the Special ASEAN Summit on Myanmar in Jakarta. Recently, Myanmar’s neighbours have made efforts to encourage the organisation of negotiations between the parties in Myanmar to resolve the political crisis in this country./.
- Global crisis response highlights importance of ASEAN consensus
- Rohingya crisis: UN investigates its 'dysfunctional' conduct in Myanmar
- Rohingya Muslims Flee Myanmar Amid Military Operation in Rakhine
- As Myanmar farmers lose their land, sand mining for Singapore is blamed
- Rohingya crisis may be driving Aung San Suu Kyi closer to generals
- It's self-isolation Monday: Millions of workers start working from home to leave trains, tubes and roads empty and some services facing the axe completely as Britain faces up to coronavirus crisis
- The Latest: Myanmar confirms 2 cases of coronavirus
- 'Is anyone NOT a key worker?': Britons are left confused by government's list of people vital to coronavirus crisis - including vicars and funeral directors - leaving parents asking 'what the hell was the point in shutting schools?'
- Long a bit player, Pence makes the most of his lead role in coronavirus response
- 'Avoid panic buying': Highlights of PM Modi's address on coronavirus
- Age Isn't Just a Number: Countries Need to Understand Demographic Science to Effectively Counter Coronavirus Crisis, Says Study
- PM Modi address to the nation on Coronavirus: Read full speech text here
UN Chief highlights ASEAN’s crucial role in addressing Myanmar crisis have 419 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at April 20, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.