Earlier, the team was informed by the family of Nguyen Duc Quang in Tan Xa hamlet that there was a mass grave of Vietnamese soldiers in the locality.
The team immediately worked with local authorities and people to collect the remains. Martyrs' remains and a lot of their keepsakes, including buttons, rubber sandals, soldier water bottles, first-aid bandages, belts, shovels, bullets, etc., were found at a depth of 50-104cm.
All of the remains will be kept at the Martyrs’ Monument in Ba Long commune before being reburied or handed over to their families.
According to historical witnesses and locals, the remains were possibly of troops of Regiment 6 under the Tri Thien Hue Military Region who laid down their lives in a battle on October 20, 1965, and were buried in a mass grave.
According to Political Commissar of Division 968 Colonel Nguyen Thanh Hung, under the instruction of the National Steering Committee for Search, Collection, Repatriation and Identification of Fallen Soldiers’ Remains (Steering Committee 515 in short), Military Region 4's Steering Committee 515, Quang Tri provincial Steering Committee 515, and relevant units have conducted searches for fallen soldiers' remains in the area over the past ten years. Their efforts have finally paid off.
At present, the team is extending the search area and working with relevant agencies to identify the found remains.
Any information relating to troops who died in the battle on October 20, 1965 should be sent to the head of the search and collection of martyrs’ remains team of Division 968 Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Ba Le via the phone number 0972493561.
Translated by Song Anh
- NHL lockout all but set with no bargaining on tap
- Jets trying not to repeat Atlanta’s mistakes
- Owners, players union set to square off
- Report: Labor forum set if deal approved
- Has baseball set bad precedent?
- Rays set for infusion of new talent
- Boca set to reclaim Argentine crown
- Messi, Ronaldo set to renew scoring duel
- Bucs young DBs set to be tested by Peyton Manning
- Big Aussie win sets Popovic for 2013
- Dorrans set for Hawthorns exit
- NASCAR sets up simpler point system
Thirty one sets of remains of martyrs collected in Quang Tri province have 337 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at June 10, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.