Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte approved to relax restrictions in Metro Manila and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal until April 30.
The new set of lockdown rules will be announced on Monday, said Roque.
The Philippines’ Department of Health (DOH) reported on Sunday 11,681 new COVID-19 infections, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Southeast Asian country to 864,868.
The death toll climbed to 14,945 after 201 more patients died from the viral disease, the DOH said.
Roque said the government will further improve the country’s health care system including decongesting of hospitals. The government will also build more step-down facilities for recovering patients, he added.
The government placed Metro Manila and four adjacent provinces under a two-week strict lockdown from March 29 “to limit the spread of the variants” and contain the surging virus transmission.
Since the reimposition of stricter restrictions, the DOH reported over 10,000 average cases every day.
Health authorities blamed the fast-spreading “variants of concern” as one of the drivers of transmission and the people’s failure to comply with health protocols such as wearing face-coverings and avoiding gatherings.
The Philippines, which has about 110 million population, has tested over 10 million people since the outbreak in January 2020.
- Philippines govt sites to have standardized 'look and feel'
- Philippine LGUs still stuck in dinosaur age
- Regulators In The Philippines Continue To Tighten The Screws On Esports
- Will we ever know if this widely-used contraceptive increases the risk of HIV infection?
- Open source initiative taps analytics to solve Asia's traffic jams
- Tech and a nation's altered psyche
- Social media rises to help Haiyan victims
- Ransomware: An executive guide to one of the biggest menaces on the web
- What Do Teens Think About When They Think About HIV?
- Study finds Shanghai most susceptible to flooding
- What Life Is Like When Getting Your Period Means You Are Shunned
- 'But Why Are You Alone?': Two Solo Months Wandering Iran
Philippines eases restrictions in Metro Manila despite surge in COVID-19 infections have 310 words, post on en.nhandan.org.vn at April 11, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.