Two men who roamed the Indian capital using monkeys to rob unsuspecting victims have been arrested, New Delhi police said Saturday.
The pair were apprehended after one victim complained to officers that three men carrying monkeys had surrounded and robbed him of 6,000 rupees ($80), a local police official told AFP.
Authorities across India have been grappling with the menace posed by monkeys in Delhi and other populated cities, where they often enter homes in search of food.
But it is illegal for Indians to capture them under a 1972 law.
“When the victim was sitting in an autorickshaw, the men also entered (the vehicle) and asked one monkey to sit on the front seat and another at the back,” the official said.
“They took the money the lawyer had in his wallet and fled with the monkeys.”
Police suspected the gang were behind other similar thefts and officers set up a dedicated team to track down the culprits, who were arrested Thursday at a bus stop along with their animal accomplices.
The third thief is still at large while the monkeys have been sent to an animal rescue centre.
Monkeys are often trained as street performers in India and incidences of the hairy simians attacking residents are not uncommon.
Last year a troop of monkeys attacked a medical official and snatched blood samples of patients who had tested positive for coronavirus in Meerut city in northern India.
- Asda ram raid: Digger used to steal cash machine in Tunbridge Wells
- Digger used to steal cash machine in spate of ATM thefts in Northern Ireland
- New York man admits to stealing cash, gift cards from mail
- Lebanon woman charged for stealing cash, credit card while working at Boscov's
- Police: Men used tow truck to steal cars, sell to dealership
- This is not a drill: 30,000 monkeys have taken a city by storm
- Digger abandoned after being used to ram raid Asda cash machine
- How the Gupta Brothers Hijacked South Africa Using Bribes Instead of Bullets
- Indian jewellery tycoon, 48, arrested in London over £1.5bn bank fraud
- Indian government under fire for arresting student protesters instead of taking action against ‘sex blackmail gang’
- Indian police arrest teenager paid by terror group to carry grenade in his lunch box
- For India's prime minister, symbolism is political strategy
Men who used monkeys to steal cash arrested in India have 369 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at April 11, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.