Three others were badly injured in Saturday’s magnitude-5.9 quake and more than 1,180 buildings were damaged, most of them slightly, the disaster agency BNPB said. Some houses were flattened, images in Indonesian media showed.
Two shelters for the displaced have been set up in the town of Lumajang.
All of the casualties were reported in 15 districts and cities in East Java, the closest province to the epicentre of the quake, which struck in the Indian Ocean.
“I have ordered … immediate emergency response to search and find victims under the rubble and to treat the wounded,” the president, known by his popular name Jokowi, said in broadcast remarks.
There were no reports of the quake disrupting production facilities, but the BNPB said 150 public facilities were damaged. Most industrial areas in East Java are located in the northern side of the island.
Jokowi noted that as Indonesia straddles the volcanic “Ring of Fire” in the Pacific, natural disasters such as earthquakes could happen anytime, adding that Indonesians should always be prepared.
The Southeast Asian nation was struck last week by tropical cyclone Seroja, which triggered landslides and flash floods killing more than 170 people on islands in East Nusa Tenggara province.
A magnitude-6.2 quake that hit Sulawesi island in January killed more than 100 people.
- Thailand Cave Rescue Efforts Pick Up Pace as Flooding Eases
- Japan Quake Kills 7, Rescuers Rush North Amid Damage
- Doctors, Rescuers Work in Tsunami-Struck Indonesian Areas
- Rescuers detect signs of life under quake-hit hotel
- Slow Arrival of Aid Frustrates Indonesia Quake Survivors
- Aid Slowly Is Tricking to Indonesian Disaster-Hit Areas
- Thousands left homeless by quake on Indonesian island
- Flash Floods, Earthquake in Indonesia Kill Over 80
- Indonesia Quake Deaths Top 130, Aid Effort Intensifies
- Burials Begin in Indonesia as Rescue Need Becomes Desperate
- Haiti earthquake: Aid effort ramps up as 200,000 dead predicted
- The American Presidency
Indonesian president orders Java rescue efforts after quake kills 8 have 293 words, post on en.nhandan.org.vn at April 11, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.