Russian authorities have reported seven poultry farm workers aged 29 to 60 years infected with the A(H5N8) strain of avian influenza, also known as bird flu. This is the first reported detection of this strain of avian flu in humans, WHO stated.
All seven individuals worked at a poultry processing plant and were therefore exposed to infected birds. None of the infectees have presented respiratory symptoms and remain healthy, according to WHO, which added there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission of avian influenza H5N8, and that the risk of an outbreak among humans remains very low.
The strain is a subtype of the influenza A virus that causes flu-like symptoms in wild birds and poultry. Outbreaks of the H5N8 strain have been reported in Russia, Europe, China, the Middle East, and North Africa in recent months.
In Vietnam, the monitoring program of the Department of Animal Health has not detected the circulating strain of H5N8. However, from 2021, the department would increase testing in the national avian influenza surveillance program.
Dr. Pawin Padungtod, senior technical coordinator of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Vietnam, said technically, the H5N8 virus strain shares antigenic characteristics with the H5N6 strain circulating in Vietnam.
Therefore, the current avian flu vaccine used in Vietnam still works against the H5N8 strain.
To prevent H5N8 influenza infection, FAO and WHO recommended breeders strengthen biosecurity measures in the breeding area, comply with poultry vaccination schedules, report unusual cases of poultry deaths and not allow visitors to enter farms.
The two avian flu virus strains, H5N6 and H5N1, that have been detected in the country, spread from poultry to humans through contact with infected feces or other bodily fluids, and can prove fatal.
- Bird flu: What threat to humans?
- Swine Flu Q&A: What You Need To Know
- Colourised images illustrate how doctors and nurses fought to save Spanish Flu sufferers in 1918... as the world relies on medical heroes to save it from coronavirus a century later
- Bars, restaurants and stores are boarded up as three million Americans prepare to file for unemployment and Donald Trump warns of a nationwide two-week quarantine to slow the spread of coronavirus
- California governor Gavin Newsom issues statewide 'Stay At Home' order for 40 million people with NO END DATE - after warning 26 million WILL catch coronavirus in next eight weeks
- US hospitals brace for ‘tremendous strain’ from new virus
- California releases $150M to build isolation zones in hotels and on beaches for the 60,000 homeless people expected to get coronavirus - as Gov. Newsom requests Navy ship for additional hospital beds and alerts the National Guard to control panic buyers
- 'This is not a cold. This is the Grim Reaper knocking on my door': Fitness enthusiast, 42, blasts people who dismiss coronavirus symptoms as he describes terror and pain of muscle cramps, 104 temperature and struggling to breathe
- Analysis: Trump says the pandemic crisis was 'unforeseen' -- but lots of people foresaw it
- Question Time audience member says UK should 'forget politics' and deal with coronavirus
- Coronavirus map: How many deaths have there been from Covid-19 so far?
- Virus testing of Australian COVID-19 patients halted as NZ goes into lockdown
WHO warns Vietnam to guard against H5N8 bird flu strain have 527 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.