Before the surgery, the child, weighing only 16 kg, suffered from dilated cardiomyopathy and end-stage heart failure.
The patient received the heart from a 19-year-old brain-dead donor, with the surgery conducted on February 1.
The child's mother thanked the family of the donor who, she said, has given her child a new life, and the dedication of doctors and nurses of the hospital.
This is the fifth heart transplant performed on a child at the hospital.
Viet Duc has performed five lung, 36 heart, 92 liver, and nearly 1,100 kidney transplants in total so far.
It is the leading center nationwide for collecting and transplanting organs. All patients are healthy and have returned to daily living.
In March 2017, a 10-year-old boy in Hanoi became the smallest heart transplant patient at that time. After getting the heart from a brain-dead donor, he is now in a stable condition.
- The gift of life: NZ's youngest heart transplant patient, five years after her surgery
- 38 live liver transplants at Chennai hospital
- Successful year for Vietnam’s organ transplant activities
- 2020: a record year for healthcare in Vietnam
- Hà Nôi hospital sees new organ donation record
- Viet Duc Hospital gives gift of life with 23 organ transplants
- Việt Đức Hospital gives gift of life with 23 organ transplants
- Record number of organ transplants performed in Vietnam
- 70% hearts, 100% donated by Gujaratis don’t find takers in Gujarat
- How a new £244-a-year heart failure drug saved a 44-year-old father-of-two from needing a life changing transplant and could help thousands of NHS patients annually
- 10 prominent medical events in Vietnam in 2020
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia June 6
Vietnam’s youngest heart transplant patient discharged from hospital have 262 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.