NEW YORK — Ambassador Phạm Hải Anh, deputy head of the Vietnamese delegation to the UN, has reaffirmed Việt Nam's support for a Libyan-led and Libyan-owned comprehensive political solution on the basis of respecting independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Libya.
Addressing the UN Security Council's videoconference briefing on the Libyan situation and operations of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on March 24, Ambassador Anh spoke highly of important progress in politics and security in Libya and called on parties to fully carry out articles of the ceasefire agreement, facilitate the transitional period and prepare for the holding of national elections based on the agreed roadmap.
Voicing support for UNSMIL's role in assisting the Libyan-led and Libyan-owned ceasefire monitoring mechanism, the Vietnamese representative highlighted the need to address the humanitarian and economic challenges in the country and called on all international partners to provide technical and financial support for Libya and other countries in the region.
He appreciated efforts made by parties in Libya in bomb, mine and unexploded ordnance (UXO) clearance under the support of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS), and called for more efforts to reduce risks and protect civilians from risks caused by post-war UXO.
Ján Kubiš, Special Envoy to Libya and head of the UNSMIL, called on the UNSC to back the peace progress in Libya, including allowing UNSMIL to support the ceasefire monitoring mechanism
Delegates welcomed political progress in the country and stressed the need to consolidate gains ahead of national elections in December. They also called for the withdrawal of mercenaries and foreign forces from Libya and compliance with the arms embargo, the need for the unification of institutions in Libya and the improvement of basic services for local people. — VNS
- WHO chief lauds Viet Nam’s efforts against COVID-19
- Deutsche Bank steps up investment in Viet Nam to support trade
- Việt Nam, Russia seek ways to enhance ties
- Việt Nam voices concerns over terrorism, violence in Africa
- US naval ships’ visit to Việt Nam helps promote bilateral ties
- Việt Nam shares experience in combating COVID-19 with Canada
- India and Việt Nam to promote trade during Covid-19
- Việt Nam denies entry from UK and Schengen countries over COVID-19, starting March 15
- Việt Nam increases pork imports to reduce price on local market: MARD
- Việt Nam achieves trade surplus of almost $2b in two months
- What would Việt Nam be without the Mekong Delta?
- Việt Nam sticks to poverty reduction targets
Việt Nam supports comprehensive political solution in Libya: diplomat have 440 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at March 25, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.