Support office for returning migrant women launched in Can Tho
By Huynh Kim
|Han-Deog, director of KOICA, speaks at the launch ceremony of OSSO Can Tho – PHOTO: HUYNH KIM|
CAN THO – The One-Stop Service Office (OSSO) that supports returning migrant women and their families was launched in the Mekong Delta city of Can Tho this morning, March 3.
OSSO Can Tho is part of the “Strengthening the capacity of Vietnam to support sustainable reintegration for returning migrant women and their families” project funded by the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) with technical assistance from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the Vietnam Women’s Union (VWU).
The Can Tho office is one of five OSSO branches that has been set up in Vietnam by the VWU in cooperation with KOICA and IOM. The other offices are located in Hanoi, Haiphong, Hai Duong and Hau Giang.
The OSSOs provide free services related to marrying foreigners, marriage and divorce procedures, vocational training, employment, healthcare and psychological and financial support for returning migrant women and their families.
Addressing the launch ceremony, Han-Deog, director of KOICA, said Can Tho is the economic hub of the Mekong Delta, where many migrant women get married to men from South Korea and other countries. The OSSO office will help them heal and make a new start when they return to their hometown.
According to Ha Thi Nga, chairwoman of VWU, tens of thousands of Vietnamese people marry foreigners every year, with over 90% of them being women.
"The Women’s Union of Can Tho City is offering practical support for Vietnamese women whose spouses are foreigners. OSSO Can Tho will be a support center for women from not only Can Tho City but also other provinces in the southwestern region," Nga said.
OSSO Can Tho is located in Hung Phu Ward, Cai Rang District. For support, women can call the toll-free hotline 1800.599967.
- EU shows film in honor of Pinoy migrant workers
- Reintegrating our migrant workers
- DFA vows to look after migrant workers in ‘Month of Overseas Filipinos’
- Corrections officers say they don't understand why no one has been charged with Whitey Bulger's murder, one year after the Boston mobster was beaten to death with a lock in a sock in prison
- Danger, extortion, suffering on migrant route to Europe
- Japan forces a harsh choice on children of migrant families
- Migrant workers and the scourge of human trafficking
- Bodies of 87 migrants found in Niger desert
- French president calls for migrant smuggling crackdown
- EU, Turkey strike ‘historic’ deal to send back migrants
- Rights group urges Yemen, Saudi action on migrants
- The Lazarus migrants at the gate
Support office for returning migrant women launched in Can Tho have 428 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.