The events will be a dress rehearsal in how to prevent the spread of Covid-19 as organizers host an international sports event during a global pandemic.
“At the moment we are currently gauging how many athletes would like to participate in the test events… We will coordinate with the government once we can confirm those numbers,” senior Tokyo 2020 official Yasuo Mori told reporters.
Test events for five competitions, including track and field and the marathon, could involve foreign athletes participating, the organizers said.
Asked what Tokyo 2020 would do with the test events if there were another wave of coronavirus infections, Games Delivery Officer Hidemasa Nakamura said they were “inextricably linked with the domestic and local coronavirus situation.”
Tokyo 2020 is planning 18 test events before the Games begin on July 23. Test events for skateboarding and shooting were this month postponed from April until May because of the pandemic’s impact on scheduling.
The Olympic Torch relay started last week, with bystanders asked to stay masked, stand apart and clap instead of cheer for torchbearers as organizers try to ease public safety concerns.
Tokyo 2020 organizers have banned international spectators from attending the Games. The decision appeared to be received positively by the Japanese public, with 85 percent in favor according to a poll by daily Asahi Shimbun published last week.
The same poll also suggested that people were still wary of holding the event this summer, with 36 percent preferring another postponement, 33 percent an outright cancellation, and 27 percent saying the Olympics should be held as planned.
- Athletes and federations face doping bans, says Bach
- 'Treachery' or 'transparency'? Russian athletes to return as WADA lifts doping ban
- London 2012: Athletes start arriving for Olympic Games
- Olympics: IOC weighs Russia Rio Games ban
- Evidence found in Sochi drugs probe to charge athletes, IOC says
- Vietnam targets more official tickets to Olympics 2016
- Vietnamese athletes gear up for international competitions in 2014
- Hung secures all-around berth to London Olympics
- Excitement builds for London 2012 as triathlon, rowing and sailing events take place
- Olympics: Venues for the 2012 London Games
- Resolution no 36 - NQ/TW, March 26, 2004 by the politbureau on the overseas Vietnamese affairs
- India's women athletes box, shoot, wrestle for recognition
Overseas athletes may be able to take part in Olympic test events, organizers say have 349 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at March 29, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.