The second stage has been conducted by the university and the Ho Chi Minh City-based Pasteur Institute since February 26. It has been carried out at the university in Hanoi and the medical center of Ben Luc district in the southern province of Long An, with the participation of 560 volunteers aged from 12-75, including 80 aged over 60.
They will receive two doses of either the vaccine or the placebo AIPO4, with an interval of 28 days. Each volunteer will be monitored for 12 months after the first dose.
Volunteers receiving shots on the morning of February 26 will receive the second doses in late March.
Lieutenant-General Do Quyet, Director of the Military Medical University, said since the trial sees the participation of volunteers with underlying health conditions, competent authorities have been prepared for all scenarios and ensure safety for all volunteers.
Results of the trial will be announced in May 2021 before preparing for the third-stage trial during which only one single shot of the vaccine will be administered to 10,000-15,000 people from both domestic and foreign pandemic-hit regions, Quyet added.
Developed by the Nanogen Pharmaceutical Biotechnology JSC and the Hanoi-based Military Medical University, Nano Covax is Vietnam's first COVID-19 vaccine to reach the human trial stage.
The first-stage trial of the Nano Covax vaccine showed that it is likely to be effective against the B117 variant from the UK.
Vietnam is one of 40 countries and territories in the world to have begun human trials of a COVID-19 vaccine, after successfully producing coronavirus test kits early in the pandemic.
- First patient will get an experimental coronavirus vaccine TODAY – but scientists warn it will be at least a YEAR before the jab could be rolled out to the rest of the world
- Coronavirus treatments: Everything you need to know about chloroquine and vaccines
- Coronavirus medicine: The vaccines and drugs in development to treat COVID-19
- Can a century-old TB vaccine steel the immune system against the new coronavirus?
- Billionaire Clive Palmer donates $1million to a clinical trial of drugs which scientists say may be able to 'cure' the deadly coronavirus
- It's elderly hour: Iceland, Lidl and Nationwide open up early for pensioners as confusion reigns over Boris Johnson's coronavirus advice for the over-70s to 'stay inside' (and even PM's own FATHER vows to go to the pub)
- Coronavirus update: India inc joins race to make drugs and vaccine
- Volunteers fight virus by testing new experimental vaccine
- Infected Brits to take part in European mega-trial of four hopeful coronavirus therapies including anti-malaria drugs, HIV medication and experimental Ebola tablets
- Coronavirus news LIVE: UK death toll hits 281 as 1.5m vulnerable people are told to lock down for 12 weeks
- More than one MILLION British 'good Samaritans' join local Facebook support groups to help the vulnerable and elderly during the coronavirus crisis
- Coronavirus: German, US companies sign deal to develop vaccine
Many elderly people join 2nd stage of Nano Covax vaccine trials have 466 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at April 12, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.